The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Oxfordshire Light Infantry

RichardH

Hi,

Doing some family tree bits and pieces, and I came across a relative serving in either 'First Royal Rifle Reserve Regiment' or 'Fourth Oxfordshire Light Infantry Battalions', stationed in Portsmouth in 1901.

I can't find any reference to the '4th' Oxfordshire Light Infantry- only the amalgamation and redesignation of the 43rd Foot and 52nd Foot in 1881 to the 1st and 2nd Bn Ox and Bucks LI. Also, I guess that the First Royal Rifle Reserve Regt is a training unit? Can anyone shed any more light on these units from between 1895 and 1918?

Much appreciated, as ever,

Regards

Richard

Richard.......Can't help with your question but I would suggest contacting (by PM or email) either Brain & Lesley Talmer or Clint Lawson who goes by the name of Bux Boy on this forum...........These are the leading Ox & Bucks experts here & I have often picked their brains re the Regiment

Richard

See this site for details of the 4th Batt. Oxfords.

http://www.lightinfantry.org.uk/regiments/.../ox_tabatts.htm

The 1st Royal Rifle Reserve Regt. was one of several Reserve Regiments rasied during the South African (2nd Boer War) in 1900. The intention being to relieve regular forces at Home for overseas service.

Dave