The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lance Corporal Thornton Bedfordshires 21363

Guest malcolm@mht77..f9.co.uk

Guest malcolm@mht77..f9.co.uk

;) My dad who was born on 3rd Feb 1896 joined up in the Bedfordshire Regiment I believe in 1916 as an artillery gunner number 2855 but it seems that he was then transferred to the infantry as a private on number 21363.

He was on the Somme in Nov 1916 and was part of the 'big stunt'. He then went onto Cambrai where he was mustard gassed and led a number of soldiers to safety at the time when the Germans started to advance after they retreated as a result of the original offensive.

He had a medical at 'Millbank' and discharged unfit?

I think that my dad had described a black and amber shoulder colour?

I wonder if anyone can throw more light on my dads exploits and wonder whether I can trace his papers?

My Dad died on 25th May 1979 aged 83. Bless him

Malcolm Thornton

Hi Malcolm

Your Dad? Wow. What a life he must have had mate; bless him indeed. Where was your family from?

Have been busy on the Beds myself (5th and 7th Regmnts), so hope can shed a little light if nothing else ... there are far more learned people on the forum who will confirm or correct, Im sure. One John Wainwright on the forum (aka 'Raster Scanning') has considerable database and understanding of the Beds boys as I understand it so he'd be the one to confirm?

The 4 figure no suggests he may have been in the original TA or regulars before the outbreak of war? The 6 fig numbers came from a transfer or the renumbering in 1917 (a link to the details is on the long trails front page, top right I think).

As for your dads exploits, i have the 7th Beds diaries (who were at the Somme 1916 if memory serves) on notepad format if it helps but the 5th diaries are in the Bedford county archives. John put me in touch with the archivist there, so can dig his details out if you dont already have them? steve@fulmac.com is where to get me if you want the diaries mate. Anything else Ive got that relates, youre welcome to

Millbank? Was that Leighton Buzzard? Would be interested to learn where you came accross that info if poss?

What papers are you after Malcolm? Service papers, medal records ...

Steve

Hello Malcolm.

Welcome to the forum.

Can you give a little bit more info please, your fathers full name, where he was born and any other details. My main interest is the 7th Bedfords and I do not have a record of him serving with this unit. The patch worn by them was a horizontal black bar with a central yellow vertical stripe.

It is unlikely he served as an artillery gunner in the Bedfords, more likely he was in the artillery and transferred to the Bedfords after.

Do you have his medals or pictures of him in uniform? these will help pin down his history. As you have his service numbers I assume you have some other details?

If he was discharged unfit he would have been entitled to a Silver War Badge, details of which will be on his Medal Index Card along with his medal entitlement. Some of these cards are available on line but unfortunately not the T's until November. The card will give reference to units he served in and refer you to a ledger that will probably give battalion number as well. The Silver War Badge also has a seperate ledger these together should confirm the units he served in.

All these records are available at the National Archive at Kew.

Some soldiers records are also available but many were lost due to enemy action in WW2.

You may be lucky and find mention of him in the local paper for the area he was living in at the time.

If you give a bit more info I am sure we can help you further.

Cheers.

John.