The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Robert Currie 10bt Arg & Suth 22860

Guest Howoodall

Guest Howoodall

I am researching this man. Does anyone have any details of him, particularly the circumstances of his death.

Thanks

Howoodall.

I am going to the Argylls museum at Stirling castle early next month.I can try and get access to the battalion war diary which might give some information.

Let me know and i will see what i can do.

Scott

Hi

Welcome to the forum. In addition to the CWGC information the Soldiers Died in the Great War details are :-

S/22860 Private Robert Currie

10th Battalion Princess Louise's (Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders)

Killed in action, France & Flanders 09/04/1918

Born : Dufftown, Banffshire

Enlisted : Aberdeen

Residence : Inveraray, Argylls

Steve

I have a puzzle that I have been trying to solve regarding Pte John Charlton S/11326 - 2nd Battalion, Argylls, kia 24th April 1917. He is commemorated on a town memorial in Mid Wales, also in a church in the same area, was born in Liverpool, enlisted in Dunfermline and was resident in Mid Wales.

Seems a long way to go to enlist therefore I'm trying to work out, what was his connection with Scotland ?

what was his connection with Scotland ?

It does not follow that the man's regiment was connected with his home. Especially once conscription was introduced in 1916 the link was utterly broken.

The population was suprisingly mobile before WW1. There could be many reasons why he was in Scotland, if nothing else because of work. There are many instances of men working away from their places of birth or association and enlisting in local battalions.

Terry Reeves

It does not follow that the man's regiment was connected with his home. Especially once conscription was introduced in 1916 the link was utterly broken.

Chris & Terry

Thank you for your replies. I know that 'Jack' Charlton, as he was known embarked as part of the 21st reinforcement group on 1st October 1915. His residence was on or near to a country estate in Mid Wales which was owned by James Watt (the well known Scotsman). I have spoken to one of James Watt's descendants but he did not know if Jack was employed on the estate pre WW1.

He said that James Watt and his descendants used to bring some of their staff from Scotland, especially the gamekeepers, to work in Mid Wales. The closest church to the estate contains a special memorial plaque to J. Charlton which indicates that Jack must have been a long term resident in the area.

I was wondering if there was a tendency for Scottish land owners in England to encourage their workers to travel to Scotland to enlist ?

Malcolm

Thanks for the suggestion of a naval link. If I can find out Jack Charlton's occupation it may provide some answers.

Myrtle