The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ver late casualty. Why?

Dimitri

Hi there everybody-

I have just bought a VM to Pte Arthur Tuffen of the Otago Regiment, NZEF, who died 29/12/1919 and buried Dunedin Cemetery, New Zealand. Can anybody tell me why such a late casualty? Any information about this man would be gretafully received. Thanks in advance, all the best

Dimitri

Dimitri

One of mine died 8/1/1920. Death cert gives normal causes but it is generally accepted by the family that he died as a result of the wounds that he rec'd during the war.I believe that that is why CWGC records continue until (I think) 1921.

Regards

Andy

Dimitri

CWGC states that our man was born in London. His age at death, 41, would see him being born around 1878. I am unable to find any Arthur Truffen of that age on either the 1891 or the 1901 census, suggesting (but not proving!!) that he migrated to NZ before 1891.

Stephen

Guest Pete Wood

Your man was born in the St Saviours' district of London between June and September 1878.

This area is known, today, as Southwark

St. Saviour Southwark

Created 1st July 1837. Abolished 1st January 1902 (renamed Southwark). In Surrey until 1889.

Sub-districts : Borough Road; Christ Church; Kent Road; London Road; Newington St. Mary; Newington Trinity; St. Saviour; Walworth St. Peter.

GRO volumes : IV (1837-51); 1d (1852-1901).

Newington St. Mary (1870-1901), Southwark Christ Church, Southwark St. George (1870-1901), Southwark St. Saviour.

Registers now in Southwark district.

He may have had a brother named William, which is worth investigating.

Hi lads-

Wow, that was fast!!! Thanks for the info, very interesting indeed!! Given the age he died I am tempted to suggest that this bloke could have been in the Boer War(??). His rank does not reflect this, but then that really does not mean much. Could anybody confirm whether he was or was not present in any earlier conflicts? I have never had to research a member of the NZEF before and do not really know where to start. Any info would be gratefully received, all the best

Dimitri

Dimitri

1881 Census

12 Inville Rd

Newington Surrey

John Tuffen Head 38 Clerk b Edwardston, Suffolk

Christenna wife 39 b Peckham, Surrey

John son 12 b Newington, Surrey

William son 10 b " " " "

Eleanor E dau 8 b " " " "

Alice M dau 4 b " " " "

ARTHUR son 2 b " " " "

Frank F son 9m b " " " "

I reckon this is your man.

Fred

I have a RND guy,whose Battalion i can't remember,and who died in late January 1919,at the age of 21,buried in a cemetary near me.

I think i found out he was killed in a training incident,at Portsmouth,aboard a battleship.

I assumed he was a Royal Marine Gunner.

I cannot remember the exact cut of date,for casualties of the Great War,but i think it was late 1920,early 1921.

Is it possible that he was badly wounded,in late 1918,and died all this time later?

I have read of a couple of instances of this happening.

Good hunting and all the best.

Simon

Guest Pete Wood

If the cause of death was attributable to a war wound (confirmed by a doctor), and he died within the cut off dates of the CWGC (in 1921), then he was entitled to a war grave.

Many soldiers died of war related injuries long after the CWGC cut-off, and therefore don't have a war grave.

New Zealand recognised all post war deaths of ex-servicemen, and continued to give their next of kin memorial plaques right up until the 1930s.

Going back to the family in question:

Eleanor Esther married Harry Dale in Camberwell in 1897

Alice Maud

John Junior died in 1889 aged 21

Just to clarify RT's post...

The cut-off date is 31.08.21 inclusive.

If he was still a serving soldier, the cause of death was immaterial if he died before this date. Any cause of death would get him war grave status and commemoration by CWGC.

However, if he had been discharged, as RT said, his death before the cut-off date would have to have been caused by wounds, injury or illness sustained during service between 04.08.14 and 31.08.21 in order for him to get war grave status and commemoration by CWGC.

In addition, discharged men could get war grave status if they died before the cut-off date of a non-war related illness which was exacerbated by wounds, illness or injury sustained while serving between the qualifying dates and thus hastening their demise.

The NZ WWI Service Personnel CD gives the following information:

42601 Private Arthur Tuffen. Occupation: Waterside worker. Next of Kin: Mrs E Smith (sister) of 122 Grover Terrace, Camberwell, England.

There's no indication of his unit in the NZEF.

I hope this helps.

Hi there-

Thanks to all who replied to my post!! It seems as if Arthur Tuffen immigrated to New Zealand early on in his life. He obviously still kept touch with his relatives back in Britain, having listed his sister as his next of kin. However, Dolphin mentions that NoK was Mrs E Smith, which would point to Eleanor according to Fred W. However this Eleanor was married to Harry Dale according to Racing Teapots, which leads me to whether the Arthur Tuffen mentioned on the 1881 census is really my man. I believe it is, but I would like to hear from others? Can this be confirmed? Also I would like to check to see wheteher Arthur took part in the Boer War as well. How could I go around to do this? Thanks again for all the information, look forward to anything else anybody could add, all the best

Dimitri

Dave

Read my post above for the exact details.

It is incorrect to say that the cut-off date is 1921. The cut-off is actually 31.08.21 inclusive.

As Racing Teapots reported an Eleanor Tuffen married a Harry Dale and this was registered in the Camberwell district in the period July /September 1897.

This does not preclude E Smith, his next of kin, being the same person, since Smith might have been her second husband's name. Good hunting.

• 2 months later...

Arthur William Tuffen, of Dunedin, labourer

probate no 28820

Wellington Court

filed date 27 March 1920

further enquiries to Archives NZ- Wellington

Archives NZ