The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

My Life and Times

edwin astill

A MIC for Jerome K Jerome was recently posted. I dug out a battered copy of his autobiography yesterday - bought 40 years ago and now rediscovered. It has a very interesting chapter on his experiences with the French ambulance units. He was too old to join up, and the British Army wouldn't let him do anything useful, so he joined the French. As a frequent visitor to Germany before the war (Three Men on a Bummel)he did not share the general hatred towards them. Even admitted that French ambulances on occasions took shells to the front and brought back the wounded. What he witnessed made him a pacifist.

Edwin

Thanks Edwin

I posted the MIC and have just ordered a copy of his memoirs.

Simon

I have just re-read Three Men on the Bummel; he makes some very amusing, but probably accurate , points about the Germanic peoples. Worth reading, if not quite as good as Three Men in a Boat

I have just re-read Three Men on the Bummel; he makes some very amusing, but probably accurate , points about the Germanic peoples. Worth reading, if not quite as good as Three Men in a Boat

I have just noticed on Amazon that he wrote another book called "Diary of a Pilgrimage" about a trip to the Passion Play at Oberammergau I hadn't heard of that one before so may give it a try.

Have just noticed that you can read it on Googlebooks, the last paragraph is very enlightening.