The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Eastcote/Pattishall POW Camp 1914-19

Pattishall

Steve.

Not sure about being "the guru" but I have details on many of the WW1 POW Camps used to accommodate both civilians and combatants, especially the camps in the British Army's Eastern Command area and in Gloucestershire. All the working camps in the Eastern Command area (in which Essex was located) were satellites of the parent camp, Pattishall in Northamptonshire. I know of 26 working camps in Essex and have visited and photographed most of the sites where the camps were situated. At Billericay, the combatant POWs were housed in a part of the Billericay Workhouse, which is still standing, though now converted into a private complex of "up-market" flats, maisonettes, etc. I have written a book on the parent camp (Pattishall - also called Eastcote in its early days) and am now working on one on its satellites, but that is still a long way away from completion. According to my index to my notes, the Billericay working camp was inspected by officials from the Swiss Embassy (nothing to do with the Red Cross) on 7 May 1918 who wrote their report on the camp on 10 May 1918. I do not have the details of that report to hand, but can dig out the file next week, if you are interested in what it might contain: I know it states the number of prisoners but none of their names, apart from the (German) camp leader, their sleeping and recreational facilities, the name of the Commandant and of the local doctor, how often the doctor visits, what work the POWs are employed on locally, but not where, how much they are paid, their general health and behaviour and if the inspector felt the camp was well managed or not. The POWs did not necessarily spend all of their period of captivity at a single working camp and may have been transferred to and from the parent camp - and occasionally were moved from one parent camp to another. If you are interested in a particular POW I might have some information on him in my files, but there is no comprehensive list of the POWs in UK (or German) archives.

Pattishall,

Yes please. What you have on the report written by the Swiss Embassy officials would be very much appreciated please, that would be good.

Spookily enough British Army Officers were also billeted in the Work House during the First World War. There was an Army camp about a mile away where the 'other ranks' stayed in tents.

The Master of the Workhouse at the outbreak of the First World War was Walter Needham. The Workhouse was built in 1840 as a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act. The catchment are for the Workhouse included 25 surrounding parishes. In 1897 a 44 bed infirmary was added.

If you need any pictures of the buildings taken let me know as Billericay is only a few miles away from where I live.

Regards

Steve

Steve,

I will dig out the report on the Billericay Working Camp for you.

I knew that only part of the workhouse was used for the POWs (and their British guards), but had not appreciated that other British officers were also housed there. Thanks for that info, where is that recorded? The POWs obviously did better for accommodation in Billericay than the British other ranks!!!

I have taken photos of those buildings, thanks, that's how I discovered it was now "des res".

Pattishall.

• 2 weeks later...

Corporal

Hi sorry to be a pain but any luck with that report yet. I ask as I had been in contact with the Swiss National archives and they said they had no record of any of their officials having visited a camp in Billericay.

Regards

Steve

Steve.

Not sure about being "the guru" but I have details on many of the WW1 POW Camps used to accommodate both civilians and combatants, especially the camps in the British Army's Eastern Command area and in Gloucestershire. All the working camps in the Eastern Command area (in which Essex was located) were satellites of the parent camp, Pattishall in Northamptonshire. I know of 26 working camps in Essex and have visited and photographed most of the sites where the camps were situated. At Billericay, the combatant POWs were housed in a part of the Billericay Workhouse, which is still standing, though now converted into a private complex of "up-market" flats, maisonettes, etc. I have written a book on the parent camp (Pattishall - also called Eastcote in its early days) and am now working on one on its satellites, but that is still a long way away from completion. According to my index to my notes, the Billericay working camp was inspected by officials from the Swiss Embassy (nothing to do with the Red Cross) on 7 May 1918 who wrote their report on the camp on 10 May 1918. I do not have the details of that report to hand, but can dig out the file next week, if you are interested in what it might contain: I know it states the number of prisoners but none of their names, apart from the (German) camp leader, their sleeping and recreational facilities, the name of the Commandant and of the local doctor, how often the doctor visits, what work the POWs are employed on locally, but not where, how much they are paid, their general health and behaviour and if the inspector felt the camp was well managed or not. The POWs did not necessarily spend all of their period of captivity at a single working camp and may have been transferred to and from the parent camp - and occasionally were moved from one parent camp to another. If you are interested in a particular POW I might have some information on him in my files, but there is no comprehensive list of the POWs in UK (or German) archives.

corporal

Hi, any luck with the details of the Billericay internment camp visit yet please?

regards

Steve

Steve,

I will dig out the report on the Billericay Working Camp for you.

I knew that only part of the workhouse was used for the POWs (and their British guards), but had not appreciated that other British officers were also housed there. Thanks for that info, where is that recorded? The POWs obviously did better for accommodation in Billericay than the British other ranks!!!

I have taken photos of those buildings, thanks, that's how I discovered it was now "des res".

Pattishall.

The information from Mary Needham who was the daughter of the Workhouse Master at the time of the First World War

Steve,

Thanks for providing the source of your info about the British Officers stationed at Billericay.

As you can see from my offer to dig out the Billericay POW Camp report, that was on 17 August. That I will still do, but you will have to bear with me a little longer. I am not doing this research full-time with my files beside my desk where I sit continuously, simply waiting for someone to ask me a question. I travel all over the country lecturing on this and other topics, so I have many other commitments. Just as soon as I have a few moments to spare on your query I will happily look up the details for you. In the meantime, I assure you that I studied the Swiss report (of 10 May 1918) on the visit (on 7 May 1918) to the Billericay camp (and many others at different times) when I went to Switzerland, specifically to undertake this research. Perhaps it is not definitively indexed in their catalogue as such - I cannot remember - but it's certainly there!! Hopefully, towards the end of the coming week, I'll have a chance to post some useful data for you on the Billericay WW1 POW Camp.

Pattishall.

Steve.[/size]Not sure about being "the guru" but I have details on many of the WW1 POW Camps used to accommodate both civilians and combatants, especially the camps in the British Army's Eastern Command area and in Gloucestershire. All the working camps in the Eastern Command area (in which Essex was located) were satellites of the parent camp, Pattishall in Northamptonshire. I know of 26 working camps in Essex and have visited and photographed most of the sites where the camps were situated. At Billericay, the combatant POWs were housed in a part of the Billericay Workhouse, which is still standing, though now converted into a private complex of "up-market" flats, maisonettes, etc. I have written a book on the parent camp (Pattishall - also called Eastcote in its early days) and am now working on one on its satellites, but that is still a long way away from completion. According to my index to my notes, the Billericay working camp was inspected by officials from the Swiss Embassy (nothing to do with the Red Cross) on 7 May 1918 who wrote their report on the camp on 10 May 1918. I do not have the details of that report to hand, but can dig out the file next week, if you are interested in what it might contain: I know it states the number of prisoners but none of their names, apart from the (German) camp leader, their sleeping and recreational facilities, the name of the Commandant and of the local doctor, how often the doctor visits, what work the POWs are employed on locally, but not where, how much they are paid, their general health and behaviour and if the inspector felt the camp was well managed or not. The POWs did not necessarily spend all of their period of captivity at a single working camp and may have been transferred to and from the parent camp - and occasionally were moved from one parent camp to another. If you are interested in a particular POW I might have some information on him in my files, but there is no comprehensive list of the POWs in UK (or German) archives.[/size]

Steve,Thanks for providing the source of your info about the British Officers stationed at Billericay. As you can see from my offer to dig out the Billericay POW Camp report, that was on 17 August. That I will still do, but you will have to bear with me a little longer. I am not doing this research full-time with my files beside my desk where I sit continuously, simply waiting for someone to ask me a question. I travel all over the country lecturing on this and other topics, so I have many other commitments. Just as soon as I have a few moments to spare on your query I will happily look up the details for you. In the meantime, I assure you that I studied the Swiss report (of 10 May 1918) on the visit (on 7 May 1918) to the Billericay camp (and many others at different times) when I went to Switzerland, specifically to undertake this research. Perhaps it is not definitively indexed in their catalogue as such - I cannot remember - but it's certainly there!! Hopefully, towards the end of the coming week, I'll have a chance to post some useful data for you on the Billericay WW1 POW Camp.Pattishall.

Pattishall

Didnt mean to chase you up it was just that on your reply to me on 17 August, you said about 'digging out the file next week'. As I hadnt heard I thought Id politely get back to you. Its strange because I got back to the Swiss National Archive and now they're not answering. Thanks for your time and help with this. I have a copy of photograph of officers and Sergeants who were billeted at the Billericay Union Workhouse taken in the boys playground. If you'd like a copy let me know.

Many thanks Steve.

I know that this topic was started 3 years ago but I found I very interesting now that it has been reserected. I hope members will forgive me if I digress a little from the original POW camp. Like Pattishall I am interested British POW camps but in a different area-Cumbria. There were 3 of them inthe county Milnthorope, Dalston In Furness and Rawrah (east of Whitehaven near Frizington), plus numerous temporary sub camps.

I have some information but would love to know if there are any letter/information on any inmates, or the runing of these camps. I am aware for instance that there approx 20 death in the Rawhaw camp, who were buried in local RC and Anglican graveyards close by. All but one appear to have died of the flu in 1918 the odd one out died in 1917 in what looks like an industrial accident.

If any one has any snippets of information it would be most gratefull received.

thank you

Rrichard

Steve. Here's my notes on the WW1 Billericay POW Working Camp. I see that the dormitories held 38 men but the report says there were 40 in total. Two must have slept on the roof!!:

WW1 POW Working Camps in Eastern Command area. Parent Camp = Pattishall.

Billericay Working Camp, Essex.

Notes made by Great War Forum member “Pattishall” in Swiss Archives 5 Dec 2012.

[Subject headings as used in original report]

Satellite of Pattishall. Visited 7 May 1918 by A de Sturler, Swiss Legation, London.

Inspection report dated 10 May 1918. Camp opened 22 Feb 1918.

Direction:

Capt J Powell, commandant of Rochford POW Camp, visits at intervals.

Sgt Wakefield in charge of POWs; Dr Shackelton GP in Billericay, acts as Camp Physician.

POWs:

Combatants. 40 Germans, Gef. Karl Gorges is camp leader, interpreter & clerk.

Description:

Occupies part of Billericay Workhouse, has independent blocks surrounded by courtyards.

Housing:

POWs in 3 spacious dormitories with 11, 13 & 14 men; each has usual regulation bedstead, straw mattress, pillow, 4 blankets. Gas lighting, open fireplaces for heating. Large dining and recreation rooms where POWs eat.

Sanitary Arrangements:

Separate blocks with ablution and bathroom, drying room; latrines in courtyard. POWs do own laundry. Hot water readily available, drinking water good & plentiful. All sanitary installations adequate, clean & in good working order.

Nutrition:

Kitchen with 1 boiler and all necessary apparatus in special block in courtyard. One German cook. All POWs get the increased rations for working POWs. No canteen in this small camp.

Work & Wages:

POWs work in agriculture for local farmers. Wage = 1d per hour, work 8/9 hrs per six-day week. Clerk get 3/- a week from Govt, cook gets 3/- a week from POWs. Men work in 7 parties; those working over 3 miles from camp go by train.

Medical Info:

POWs’ general health very good. No sickness since camp opened; if any seriously ill, provision made at Warley & Colchester Hospitals. Dr S visits daily. On day of visit, weather bad, all POWs seen indoors, all in good health, no insufficient nourishment.

Recreation:

Commandant applied some weeks ago to YMCA & Dr Markel’s Relief Agency for books and musical instruments for POWs – nothing received yet.

Religious Service:

YMCA rep visited recently, held service & showed pictures [lantern slides?].

Discipline:

Commandant says POWs well-selected, well-behaved and no trouble to camp authorities.

Resume:

No complaints at all from POWs. No barbed wire, excellent housing accommodation, wholesome work in open air, considerate treatment of POWs by British officials, all prominent features of this well appointed camp.

Steve: Hope this is useful.

Pattishall.

Steve. Here's my notes on the WW1 Billericay POW Working Camp. I see that the dormitories held 38 men but the report says there were 40 in total. Two must have slept on the roof!!:

WW1 POW Working Camps in Eastern Command area. Parent Camp = Pattishall.

Billericay Working Camp, Essex.

Notes made by Great War Forum member “Pattishall” in Swiss Archives 5 Dec 2012.

[Subject headings as used in original report]

Satellite of Pattishall. Visited 7 May 1918 by A de Sturler, Swiss Legation, London.

Inspection report dated 10 May 1918. Camp opened 22 Feb 1918.

Direction:

Capt J Powell, commandant of Rochford POW Camp, visits at intervals.

Sgt Wakefield in charge of POWs; Dr Shackelton GP in Billericay, acts as Camp Physician.

POWs:

Combatants. 40 Germans, Gef. Karl Gorges is camp leader, interpreter & clerk.

Description:

Occupies part of Billericay Workhouse, has independent blocks surrounded by courtyards.

Housing:

POWs in 3 spacious dormitories with 11, 13 & 14 men; each has usual regulation bedstead, straw mattress, pillow, 4 blankets. Gas lighting, open fireplaces for heating. Large dining and recreation rooms where POWs eat.

Sanitary Arrangements:

Separate blocks with ablution and bathroom, drying room; latrines in courtyard. POWs do own laundry. Hot water readily available, drinking water good & plentiful. All sanitary installations adequate, clean & in good working order.

Nutrition:

Kitchen with 1 boiler and all necessary apparatus in special block in courtyard. One German cook. All POWs get the increased rations for working POWs. No canteen in this small camp.

Work & Wages:

POWs work in agriculture for local farmers. Wage = 1d per hour, work 8/9 hrs per six-day week. Clerk get 3/- a week from Govt, cook gets 3/- a week from POWs. Men work in 7 parties; those working over 3 miles from camp go by train.

Medical Info:

POWs’ general health very good. No sickness since camp opened; if any seriously ill, provision made at Warley & Colchester Hospitals. Dr S visits daily. On day of visit, weather bad, all POWs seen indoors, all in good health, no insufficient nourishment.

Recreation:

Commandant applied some weeks ago to YMCA & Dr Markel’s Relief Agency for books and musical instruments for POWs – nothing received yet.

Religious Service:

YMCA rep visited recently, held service & showed pictures [lantern slides?].

Discipline:

Commandant says POWs well-selected, well-behaved and no trouble to camp authorities.

Resume:

No complaints at all from POWs. No barbed wire, excellent housing accommodation, wholesome work in open air, considerate treatment of POWs by British officials, all prominent features of this well appointed camp.

Steve: Hope this is useful.

Pattishall.

Pattishall,

Many thanks for this. Are you happy for me to use this information in a book about Billericay that I am writing, I will of course give you a credit in the book. (I am assuming of course you want your full name in the credit and not Pattishall).

Once again many thanks for your help with this. Its still spooky why the Swiss Archives are still not answering my e-mails in relation to having a copy of the actual report.

Kind regards

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hello Pattishall,

I am interested in the Rumshott Wood POW camp near Sevenoaks and would be grateful if you would share any information you may have on it or steer me to any other sources.

Meander.

(I missed a response you may have made to a similar query I posted on the Kent History Forum last year)

• 1 year later...

Pattishall (or any others that may help?)

I work at RAF Halton and our 'old workshops' were allegedly built by German POWs in 1917. We have ascertained that there was a 'Detention Camp' where our 'new workshops' are (which is also near to our restored WWI trenches). I now know that RFC Halton Park/Halton Park Camp was a satellite of Pattishall; but have you got any other data that you can share (or even the 'holy grail' of a photograph)?

Fascinated by the Pattishall/Eastcote POW business. I never knew that until now and I only live 10 minutes away - I even got my greyhound from a lady in Pattishall (what a small world!!!) and have been for a curry in the Royal India!

Best regards to all

Gary

• 1 year later...

Went to an interesting talk about Pattishall camp last night, apparently around 18 inmates managed to escape from it's confines.  The majority were re-captured within a couple or so miles radius of the camp.  Three of them managed to get as far as Ipswich, despite being dressed in German uniforms, and apparently travelling on a train to Cambridge with a large number of  Tommies!

Mike.

• 8 months later...

I appreciate this is now a very old thread. I think I have just identified the location of a working camp in Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire from a snippet of information in a local newspaper. If anyone has further information I would be very grateful.

I suspect that there's little more to add since last you enquired in March 2016 and that your own efforts have made you the most knowledgeable person about it!

Previous thread

Moonraker

Hi Moonraker, yes it's taken a while but I'm starting to gather information. Now I have that I need to visit Kew and contact the Swiss Archives to see if they have details of an inspection as with Billericay above. But I thought I'd try here first. I'm sure I'm not the most knowledgeable thouigh. Thanks

I suspect that any reports would be at Kew. When I was researching Wiltshire PoW camps I never came across any reports on working camps, just the main ones. Nevertheless, one can strike lucky, as did occasional GWF poster Roger Day, who unearthed some excellent letters and photographs about a camp established at a farm near Ramsbury.

Good luck!

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker

• 3 years later...

Reviving this thread to ask if anyone knows if it is possible to have access to "Detained in England 1914-1920: Eastcote POW Camp Pattishall" by Moss from Germany or the Netherlands. My Grandfather served on U-103 and was imprisioned in Patishall from 1918.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Interesting article from The Buckingham Advertiser, November 9th, 1918.

Courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive. 

Screenshot_20201206-132949.jpg

Edit...apparently seven men escaped on Friday 30th August, 1917, the men ( six sailors, one soldier) were recaptured three days later, being discovered asleep in a spinney at Norton, six miles from Northampton.

Edited by sadbrewer