The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

South American Roll of Honour Book

brownag

Does anyone have a copy of 'British Volunteers from Latin America: A book of Remembrance 1914-1918'?

I am wanting to see if one particular chap I am interested in, who came over to enlist from Argentina after his brother was killed, is in it.

Although the book is titled Latin America it refers to Central and South America.

• 9 months later...

I have the book "Activities of the British Community in Argentina during the Great War 1914-1919" which has a Roll of Honour and a Register of Volunteers from the British Community in Argentina. What is your chap's name? Dick Flory

It would appear that you have more insight into this question than I do, but if someone is interested in William G. Murray, there is a photo of him in the book. Regards. Dick Flory

I have a man born in Buenos Aires in the 1st Fijian Contingent

Lieutenant James Brodrick Tilney Church

13 1st Fiji Contingent, Fiji Defence Force,

enlisted Suva, Fiji. European planter born Buenos Aires s/of James Church, midshipman in Royal Navy 1908, French interpreter, enlisted 1 February 1915, Commissioned from ranks. Lieutenant in Collingwood Batt; R. N. Division, Died 4 June 1915 aged 27 at Dardanelles Helles Memorial, Turkey

Probate granted to father 24 November 1915 Lond. Gaz. 14 December 1915

Christine: Church is not listed in the book and I suspect it is because it appears to only include those who volunteered from Argentina, rather than those born in Argentina. Regards. Dick Flory