The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

John McCabe

Guest JJMCCABE

Guest JJMCCABE

I am trying to identify the regiments that my grandfather, John McCabe, and great uncle, John McCabe, served in during WW 1.

Grandfather John McCabe's shoulder insignia is "HOC". Great Uncle John McCabe's insignia is "LHY". Great Uncle John McCabe died in the war and the regiment name might help me find it in Graves Registration Commision files :(

Like Ian, I did wonder if HOC was in fact the HAC or even RDC for Royal Defence corps, also wondered if LHY was the Lothian & Borders Horse Yeomanry?

As this is your initial post on the forum, I suspect that when members come home from work, or at the week-end somebody comes up with the right answer for you, lets hope so.

David.

Just had a look on SDGW it shows 36 deaths to the Lothian & Border Yeomanry, it also shows 23 John McCabe`s, but no obvious match, sorry, are you getting your info from photographs?

David.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

You're best chance is to initiate a search at the PRO for service records, with a bit of background information.

Ian :)

Pretty sure LHY stands for Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry, hopefully someone will be able to confirm that.

Roger.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Don't know if this helps but here is Pte Martin of the HAC. Note the grenade badge with large plume and HAC shoulder titles.

Ian

post-1-1087307450.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JJMCCABE

I have included a photo of my grandfather and uncle. I have also included enlarged photos with cap and shoulder insignia. Maybe this will help identify the regiments.

Joe

It won't be Lothian and Borders as they had LBH on their shoulder badges.

Lothian and Borders Horse. More like Lancashire as suggested already by Roger.

Aye

Malcolm