The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The WWI Diary of Ernst Jünger

Jonathan Saunders

Here is a website on the subject. Borden Battery

Ernst Jünger in Cyberspace

The webmaster John King created the "Ernst Jünger in Cyberspace" website in 1995 just after beginning postgraduate studies at St. John's College, Oxford to establish corroborative evidence regarding the veracity of Jünger's statements in his books. This intelligent website provides the following features: introduction, biography, bibliography, the author's doctoral thesis on the subject, selected materials from the Great War, essays, criticisms and other resources. [CEF Study Group - July 2006]

http://www.juenger.org/contents.php

Without wishing to get into an acrimonious debate, although I have the greatest difficulty with Junger's philosophy of war - he was after all the man who the distinguisehd German author and writer W G Seebald descibed as a writer who, "had emerged from the Hitler era, which he had helped usher in as a distinguished isolationist and defender of humanistic values" - he was a fascinating man and writer.

I very much hope that we can expect an English translation of the diaries. In view of the limited interest in the Great War in Germany I cannot help but feel that an English language version would sell better than the German. Equally I am most grateful for the address of the Junger website. Thanks for the information.

best regrads

David

This recent publication is excellent, but only available in French for now, an absolute must for those interested in Jünger, intertwining the stories of those he fought at the same time. One of my favourite books of the year. http://etpuisapres.hautetfort.com/archive/2010/06/05/de-bazancourt-a-favreuil.html

I flicked through a copy when I was in Freiburg the other week; I only had a few minutes. From what I remember, it's not a complete diary but an edited version thereof (although it runs to something like 600 pages). It was very nicely produced (including a box cover).

I always assumed his diary had already been published as part of Sämtliche Werke (not that the collection's especially cheap... :whistle: .)