The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

25th (Frontiersman) Bn RF?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Ian.

I have had a look in my grandsons copy of "Military Badge Collecting", by John Gaylor, at first glance of the badge in the book it seems that base scroll "Frontiersmen" is more narrow than that in the photograph, but in the text it comments;- "The grenade bore the numerals '25' while the flames carried the Union Jack motif if the Legion in coloured enamel, with the scroll "Frontiersmen" below"

Of note is the next part of the text, in view of the difference in the badge in the book and that on the photograph!

"The Battalion also wore one or two other patterns but those were all locally made and this one is the most common".

Clicking away in the memory I seem to recall that the Battalion were in East Africa for 2 to 3 years, if that is the case I did wonder if they had badges made whilst stationed there, which could lead to slight variations, similar to badges etc produced in India, another thing your post has left me wondering if the badge is not that of the 25th Bn, then what is it?

Needless to say I am sorry that I have not been able to provide a posotive I D.

David.

Ian

From pictures of the 25th Bn. RF (Frontiersmen) badges that I've seen my instinct is that it is not.

IMHO the scroll doesn't look right for the 25th, all the pictures I've seen have the words Royal, Frontiersmen & Fusiliers (see my avatar for type 2 version) on the scroll (except the one Crispy mentions which I believe is a 'Regimental Association' badge) and the scroll in the picture doesn't look anywhere near long enough for that, but I'm always prepared for it to be proved otherwise.

As Crispy says "if the badge is not that of the 25th Bn, then what is it?"

Steve

Ian

Looking at it again is the badge not that of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers?

Steve