The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Von Neiber

Paul Byrne

Has anybody ever heard of this man and can provide details of his service. He served as far as I can make out on the LoC side of eitrher Second or Seventh German Armies.

Any help gratefully received

Paul Byrne

The good news is that fact that your man was "adlig" (noble, as indicated by the preposition "von" in his name) makes him much easier to find. If you have access to a really good research library, you might want to try your hand at going through the "Adeltumsregister." This is a multivolume listing of all German nobles - a sort of "Burke's Peerage on steroids." In many cases, short biographies are given. If that is not doable, try the following web-site

http://home.foni.net/~adelsforschung/schlacht00.htm#eee

It's in German, but reasonably easy to navigate nonetheless.

Hello,

Are you sure about the name? I can't find any von Neiber anywhere...

Jan

I've had a quick dig around, but can't find anything under "Von Neiber". however, Von Nieber there is info (but all in German/Spanish/French)......

Is this the guy?? Generalmajor puis Generalleutnant Stephan von Nieber (1855-1920).

Dear All,

Apologies, it is Von Nieber. He held the rank of Lt Gen. as was head of the LoC Inspectorate based in St Quentin in 1915.

Can you all elaborate on you references.

I really appreciate your helpon this.

Best,

Paul Byrne

Guest michaelv

Hello Paul,

Before the war, von Nieber was the commander of the hessian (Großherzoglich Hessisches) 25. Feldartillerie Brigade in Darmstadt. In August 1914 he ( as a Generalleutnant a.D) was the Inspekteur of the Etappen Inspektion 2. army.

Michael