The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

163281 Private Leonard George PIRIE

kerry

Dear All,

how do I find out if the records still exist for this man who survived the Great War?

I have never heard of the 'R. Lancs. Regt' or what his 2 blue chevrons mean on his discharge papers.

Could anyone suggest a way of finding out why his discharge papers show 'M G Corps' and "regt to which first posted 'R. Lancs Regt' "? What his unit was for the 2 years and 135 days he served on the Western Front, his medal entitlement and what engagements he took part in? He enlisted at Whitehall on 23 October 1916 and was discharged 6 March 1919.

Grateful for any pointers on next steps.

Many thanks.

Kerry

Two Blue Chevrons: all I can think of is that they refer to the overseas service chevrons, one given for each year's service overseas. 1914 was red, the remainder were blue. That would correlate with the service you describe.

Aside from non-campaign awards, if he served in France from 1917 on he would received British War and Victory medal pair. These would show highest rank achieved whilst in war theatre and unit with which he obtained initial qualification.

His records may survive at the PRO (see Long, Long Trail screen above left), but a good chance that they do not, and the Site will have info on the regiments you mention.

Richard

R. Lancs. Regt. = King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment.

Ask someone to look him up in Soldiers Died to find his King's Own Service Number - you may then be able to hazard a guess at his Battalion.

Andy.

Evening Kerry.

You have a load of information already and that may make life a lot easier.

The Number above,is about 90,000 numbers after my Great-grandad,although i am not sure of the exact date of him joining the MGC.

The MGC,expanded rapidly in late 1916 and early 1917,and many thousands of men,volunteers,Derby men and conscripts,were transfered to the MGC.

My Great-grandad,first served with a Territorial Battalion,of the Royal Berks,and landed in France on New Years Day,1917,to start his service with the MGC.

Many records were destroyed,during WW2,the MGC being hit hard again.

It is a bit of a lottery,but there are quite a few that have survived,including my Great-grandads.

If you have his discharge papers,it must mention his company,or Battalion.

If you have these,try a search on the PROCAT website,and see if the company/battalion war diary,is around

More than likely,although you can't read them online,you would be able to order it,for a charge.

A difficult subject,Kerry,but great fun.

Good hunting.

All the best.

Simon.