The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Units in the Gallipoli theatre

steve fuller

Ive come to a bit of a dead end and am wandering whether regiments recorded each others casualties or movements, other than purely comments on relieving or being relieved by other units?

Would also like to learn where to see a record of units in the Gallipoli area during the 'campaign', if one exists?

Many thanks again all!

Steve

Steve

In terms of "who was there", you probably won't find a better overview book than Ray Westlake's "British Regiments at Gallipoli". Reasonably detailed about movements, summarised from the war diaries. For casualty information, you'll need the actual diaries or, for fatalities only, access to Soldiers Died in Great War.

John

hi Steve,

I have Westlake's book at home and will be happy to check anything specific for you when I get home in about 3 1/2 hours.

take care,

Neil

Steve,

Does this relate to a specific unit or units and there casualties. A more specific enquiry might result in someone out there having the answers you need.

Westlake is an excellent resource, by the way.

Martin

Guest dinkidi

G'day Steve

IMHO all you need to know should be available under Gallipoli in the Battles Section of the Long Long Trail Homepage.

Good Luck

Pat

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Excellent.

Pat; Ive had a look at the area already, but will have another look in case i skipped anything unknowingly. Wouldnt be the first time Im sure ...!

Martin; yes Im looking for details on the 1st/5th Beds and a soldier called

Pvt Herbert Charles Kendall no 4400

(the 5th were in Gallipoli Aug 6th to Dec 1915), but have only recently discovered he was in the 5th at all! Hence have not ID'd the company, wnd dates or anything firm.

Neil; Not positive but I believe someone referred to westlake for me recently to look for any mention of Pt Kendall. If you have the time, I would welcome any unit info/movements, or sections from within the book that may add to the picture Im trying to build; thank you. If its too involved, no worries I'll happily add another pearl to the small but growing collection and look around for a copy!!

John; Ive already located the 5th's diaries at Bedford, but havent been there yet. Someone very kindly offered to have a nose for me when he's there in the coming weeks, so looking forward to whichever comes first! I know he sailed for Gallipoli July 1915 and was wounded (or Ill? unconfirmed either way) somewhere along the way, but def not KIA as he shows on the ST Albans diocese list (no dates), then pops up in the 7th Beds in France (no date of entry yet, but was KIA 23/03/1918 St Quentin area, service no was 200570 by then). I'll get there eventually!!

Once again, thanks for the guidance everyone.

Steve