The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1/9th (Glasgow) HLI

jdajd

When did the 1/9th see their first action? Was it at High Wood or did they see earlier action at Loos or Festubert? Also does anyone have a trench map that shows their exact position on the night of July 14/15? Thanks in advance.

Jon

Ken

I just checked this site for the Battle of Festubert, but I was unable to find when/ where the 9th HLI were deployed. At the time they were part of the 2nd Div. 5th Br, who were involved, but I do not find mention of this battalion. It is possible that I missed it. Do you know where they were deployed and on which day of the battle?

Jon

Jon,

From Ray Westlake's "British Battalions in France Jan-June 1915"

"May 1915 - Moved to Annequin (3rd). One Company to Cuinchy support, one company to Cambrin. To Bethune (6th) then to Gorre Wood (9th). Moved forward at 9pm to support positions in breastworks behind the Rue du Bois. Withdrew to Richebourg-St. Vaast (10th) then in evening took over billets in Rue d l'Epinette. Returned to Richebourg (11th) and took part in failed night attack on Ferme du Bois (15th) Attacked again on 16th. Lieutenant W. Spens killed. Total casualties during Battle of Festubert - 5 offciers, 209 other ranks. Withdreww from forward area (18th) and from Richebourg marched to Les Harisirs. Moved from Hurionville (20th), Vaudricourt (29th).

There are some errors in Westlake's books but they are sourced primarily from the War Diaries, I believe.

Regards,

Ken