The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German medals

Chris Caul

Can anyone tell me anything about the medals of the man in this photo please? It is a detail from a German family photo taken in Germany between 1935-1940. Judging by the age of man (of whom I know a little bit) I'm sure these medals would have been awarded in ww1.

Thanks,

Chris

post-1-1087415229.jpg

Hello,

I'd say Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse, Braunschweiger Kriegsverdienstkreuz and one of the Hanseatenkreuze (Hamburg, Bremen or Lübeck).

Jan

Hi Jan,

I agree on 1 and 3 I tried enlarging this and I'm going to say 2 is a Mecklenburg War Merit Cross II Class as it appears to be larger in comparison to the Iron Cross than the Brunswick Cross. Really hard to say though and I wouldn't be surprised if you were right.

Take care,

Neil

Neil,

I'm quite sure about the 2nd medal that it is the Brunswick medal. The Mecklenburg cross is as big as the IC 2...

Jan

Hi Jan,

I can't attach it here, but I think if you enlarge the photo you'll see what I mean. The shape appears similar to the Iron Cross II Class just thinner and doesn't seem as small in relation to the Iron Cross II Class. you're probably right though.

Do we know where he was from?

Take care,

Neil

Thanks for the replies.

The man was from Neumunster in the north of Germany (his family still live there), so that would tie-in with the third medal and would probably make it a Hamburg Hanseatenkreuze medal.

I've had a look at the web link given by Peter and can see what the third medal was issued for. What about the second (I can see there isn't quite agreement yet on what it is!), what were the Brunswick and Mecklenburg medals for?

If the Hanseatenkreuze medals were issued to specific units (as Peter's website suggests) then surely there is a fair chance of finding out which unit he was in?

Chris

Jan,

I concede! I am home with a better monitor and examples of both in front of me and you are correct.

Chris,

The Brunswick decoration was roughly equivalent to the Iron Cross II Class and judging by the ribbon it is for combatant service (non combattant would have the colors reversed two thin dark stripes on a light field).

unfortunately the Hamburg Hanseatic Cross was also awarded to inhabitants who served in other units than 76th Regiment so it's not necessarily the case that he was from the 76th Regiment.

Boy I get a hell of a lot brighter when I've got books and medals in front of me!

Take care,

Neil

Hello,

The ribbon of the Hanseatenkreuz indicates one from Lübeck.

Jan

Neil, thanks again.

Jan, I have just checked a map, and Lubeck is actually closer to Neumunster than Hamburg is, so it would seem that you are right there as well!

What do you think are the chances of tracing his army record? I can't remember what his surname was at the moment, but I can get it fairly quickly.

I've no idea how the German records compare with the British. Do they have an equivalent to the PRO?

Chris