The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Captain Fazakerley-Westby Queen Victoria Rifles

Guest Steve Seaman

Guest Steve Seaman

Just come back from a very enjoyable trip to The Salient.Whilst there I made good use of Paul Reed's 'Walking the Salient'.

I noticed that there is now a headstone for Capt Fazakerley Westby in the 1/DCLI Cemetary on The Bluff showing that he is believed to be buried there.This replaces the original which referred to a 'Captain of the QVR'.

At the time of publication PR's book states that the CWGC had yet to be convinced.When I visited The Menin Gate I noticed that Capt Fazakerley-Westby is also remembered there.

Could this be work waiting to be done by the CWGC or would they not erase his name from the Menin Gate.

PR's book offers convincing evidence as to the Officers identity .Does anyone know the story and what may have tipped the balance in favour of replacing the Headstone.

Steve

The name will be removed from the Menin Gate in time but such erasures are nowadays only done when the panel is replaced to save cost.

However, the name in CWGC's database will have his burial location altered immediately.

PR's book offers convincing evidence as to the Officers identity .Does anyone know the story and what may have tipped the balance in favour of replacing the Headstone.

I would also like to know this, as I received a most negative reply to my enquiries re. this officer, as did others I knew who enquired. I wonder what changed their mind?

Personally, I am against names being removed from memorials; the information is updated on the website, and it makes the panels look odd - as at Thiepval, which is I believe the only memorial where this has been done. It doesn't cost any more to keep their names on - so why remove. They have been found and that has been recorded - surely that is all that is important?