The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Great Western Railway in the First World War

IanA

I have to emphasise that I have not read this book but thought it was worthwhile to mention it here. It is published by The History Press, The Mill, Brimscombe Port, Stroud, GL5 2QG and is a softback book of 256 pages. ISBN 978 0 7524 5632 4 and it sells at £16.99. (Post free). According to a favourable review I have seen, the first half of the book deals with the railway company's part in the war and deals with the three companies for the Royal Engineers while the second part looks in detail at the men and their service.

Perhaps someone who has a copy might add their opinion.

www.thehistorypress.co.uk

Ah! But is it worth reading.

Well, I have to say that in general it is.

The author has done a lot of work identifying a full roll of honour for the Great Western Railway, and this forms much of the latter part of the book. The authors comments about sources, however, fails to mention the roll for all railway companies published for the service at St Paul's Cathedral to commemorate railway employees who died in the war. If this is the case it is a big opportunity missed as the volume provides a reasonably comprehensive list - though the author's research may have added to the list.

Aside from this the coverage on the railway company at war and three RE companies that drew on the railway company staff is, to my mind, excellent.

I would start by saying that this is not just a book for the railway buff, it is a far more readable and genial account of the home front at war and how a railway company contributed. On that count alone I would recommend it to anyone as a fascinating portrait a business on the home fron supporting the war effort.

There is very little written on railways and the great war, either in the field or on the home front. One of the principal sources on the home from remains E A Pratt's splendid volum (well, 2 volumes) on British Railways at War - though copies are very rare.

The last year has seen two worthy additions - Bill Aves book "R. O. D." and this excellent volume on the GWR and the war. Both are to be recommended and this volume on the GWR presents as much social history as it does railway history. It is an enjoyable read and I would recommend it to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

The author has done a lot of work identifying a full roll of honour for the Great Western Railway, and this forms much of the latter part of the book.

There are quite a few gaps in the ROH, so if you intend to buy this book soley for the ROH be warned it's not a complete listing.

I did find the bits about the various RE companys intresting, but was supprised that no mention was made of the work that was carried out to help the injured and wounded, ie the false limbs that were made in the GWR workshops - there is a section about the war materials produced by the company.

It does paint quite a grapic picture of the company trying to carry out it's day to day running whilst juggling the demands of the war office for men, materials and stock.

Grant

Given the dearth of information about Railway Companies in the Great War, Sandra Gittens's contribution is most welcome. The role of the company during the Great War is very interesting, and for those who have an interest in individuals, the sections on Commissioned Officers, which give their pre-war occupation within the company, their location and eventual military unit will prove invaluable, along with the Gallantry Medals and Awards section and the Roll of Honour.

TR

Its a good book, my only gripe is that the ROH seems to be taken at face value and not researched further. Given the ROH size then it would be a huge task i know but for the lads that i am interested in for example i found that the details not correct in a couple of cases ie age incorrect & missing further details. Saying that i spent 3 years researching the village and the lads who worked for the company & have probably 8 GWR lads on the ROH (A further 2 GWR lads who died are not on the list though) :poppy:. Just these lads alone have stories that would make for a good read let alone the entire company.

If people buy it for research purpose it goes along way to help explaine the work carried out and companies formed, just beware of the ROH shortfalls.

I got my look via the library. A book solely on the GWR ROH and further lads who are not listed on it would be an excellent read, but hard work to satisfy everyone.

Thank you Sandra, an area of the Great war that deserves further coverage, hopefully more will follow.

Bob

• 7 years later...

The Great War Book

"This unique record provides a comprehensive account of the men who served and died in the war, their position within the GWR, where they were stationed and how they died. "

Moonraker

Edwin A Pratt is indeed a comprehensive history of the railways at War during the 1st world War.

I obtained a copy of the section on the London & North Western Railway, it [asses my cottage here in Cumbria from the London & North Western Railway Society  - a reprint. I found then by putting the societies name in a search engine.

It is an interesting read.

Richard. 

I might as well add these few words to this thread, rather than try to see if there's a more appropriate one. I've just come back from STEAM, the GWR museum near Swindon Station, which retains a number of plaques noting the names of members of various GWR workshops who'd died in the war, as well as others noting "memorial beds" in the Victoria Hospital paid for by colleagues of fatalities.

Moonraker