The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bugler's 'beautiful death'

Guest Desmond6

Guest Desmond6

I was particularly 'taken' by this letter describing the death in action of a young soldier. The use of the phrase 'a beautiful death' did surprise me a little given this happened in the latter stages of the war. In the wake of the 'boy soldiers' debate, the fact that he volunteered for service on three occasions before being accepted is also worth noting.

I assume he was killed in the actions around Cambrai. I think it also demonstrates how close to the fighting many of the CFs actually were.

Rifleman Daniel Dunbar

Mrs. Dunbar, Broughshane, has been officially notified that her son, Rifleman Daniel Dunbar, Royal Irish Rifles, was killed in action on the November 20th.

Captain D. R. Mitchell, Chaplain to the Forces, writing to Mrs. Dunbar, says:

"It all happened on Tuesday, during a very fierce attack. Perhaps it may be some consolation to you to know that I was beside him at the time. He was out on top with his company when a machine gun bullet got him on the side of his head, just under the rim of his steel helmet.

"He stumbled back into my arms and I called him by his name but he was too busy answering Another who was calling the roll up above and he never spoke to me.

"In fact, I am perfectly sure he never knew he was hit. It was a beautiful death, just doing his duty with his face to the enemy and then a sudden transformation from this world to the glory which awaits him who is faithful unto death."

Deceased was formerly employed in the Raceview Woollen Mills and joined the army after the outbreak of war as a bugler. He volunteered for active service on three occasions before being accepted.

He was a popular member of the Broughshane Boys’ Brigade.

Ballymena Observer, December 7. 1917

"In fact, I am perfectly sure he never knew he was hit. It was a beautiful death, just doing his duty with his face to the enemy and then a sudden transformation from this world to the glory which awaits him who is faithful unto death."

I wonder if those words would have helped his parents come to terms with his death? Wasn't "flowery" language used a lot when writing to next of kin to hide from loved ones what actually happened? I expect the reality of his death was a lot different.

Kate

Guest Desmond6

Kate - As you rightly say, in most cases I would expect a lot of 'he didn't suffer' etc.

But guess what I found during my latest 'keying - in' session from the old papers!

I love it when connections are made.

Chaplains at the front

Sir - I read and hear of severe criticisms about thoe who go as Chaplains to the front. Might I ask you to publish the enclosed extract from a letter received about a young Broughshane boy who was killed in action on November 20th. Surely it discloses a fact which should silence a great deal of unfair and unfounded remarks about those who go to comfort the wounded and dying in the trenches.

Yours etc. Thomas Dowzer, Rectory, Broughshane.

Extract from letter of Rev. Captain D. A. Mitchell, CF, Minister of 1st Broughshane Presbyterian Church:-

"We have lost a lot of our bravest and best officers and men and dearest to me of all was Dan Dunbar. Strange to say, I was beside him at the time and he was fighting like a Trojan. He actually jumped up on the parapet to fire at them and tumbled back, shot in the head, into my very arms. I don't know how I have escaped nor why the Lord spares me. I have not had my clothes off for a long time and we are living on hard rations."

Ballymena Observer December 7, 1917

And, checking back tonight I found this! Bit of added info for Chaplain research types? Hope this little bit of back and forward tracking helps. I'm quite chuffed with it! :D

Praise for Ballymena Chaplain

We have read a very interesting letter from the Rev. J. A. Wilson, son of the late Mr. W. O. Wilson, Knowhead, Broughshane. he writes: - “I have been working out here for the YMCA at the ‘back of the front’ for about three and a half months and have been having a great time which I would not have missed for a great deal.

“I go back to my church in London early next month. A friend told me that he occasionally sees the Rev. D. Mitchell of First Broughshane who has been a Chaplain at the front for two years or so. Rev. Mitchell was in the thick of some

of the recent fighting and does not know what fear is and is very popular with the men.”

Ballymena Observer, September 21, 1917

Wasn't "flowery" language used a lot when writing to next of kin to hide from loved ones what actually happened? I expect the reality of his death was a lot different.

Apart from the conclusion that forms in my own mind, I have no evidence to support my views on this.

Kate is right about the use of flowery language, but I wouldn't go as far about what was hidden. I would say the truth would have been heavily disguised at times, but I don't think outright lies are written in these circumstances. So while 'didn't suffer' could mean blown to smithereens by a shell, if it is actually stated how the bullet entered the side of his head under his helmet, then I don't think that's shielding, I would take it that that is how it was. I would imagine that some officers would have a weird sense of relief in being able to describe how the death actually occurred, rather than have to tone down and diguise the truth.

The most memorable scene to me from Lyn Macdonald's 'Somme' was that of Arthur Agius commenting on how exactly were you meant to convey hopefully comforting and as truthful as possible words, when the soldier had been blown to pieces?

Oh, and the flowery language worked on me - I'd only got to the fourth line or so of the chaplain's report, and suddenly tears were streaming down my face - and it's only 7.25am.

I have been thinking about the way deaths are reported. If you look at my signature, yo will see a name. In the Kentish express it was reported that he died of severe shell shock and trench exposure. However, I have since learned that the Grenadiers were used as shock troops, not troops that 'held the line'. Therefore it is unlikely that he died of trench exposure.

Dave

Dunno Dave - Every unit, whether elite or not, had to do its share of line-holding at one time or another. True, they might be pulled out of the line for extra training and a rest period before the major set piece attacks but that was not always the case, especially in the latter period of the war when lack of numbers stretched the British army to very near breaking point.

My main point of research is the 36th (Ulster) Division and from 1st July to the end of the war they were used as assault troops at battles such as Messines, Langemarck 16th August, Cambrai etc.

Before Langemarck, troops numbers were so stretched that the 36th and 16th (irish) Divs. had to endure two solid weeks of 'holding the line' at Ypres. During that time they acted as casualty bearers, pioneers etc. Then they were sent into action on 16th August and hammered. This was not an isolated experience for Divisions in WW1.

Edited by Desmond7

The cutting below is of a letter sent to the mother of a soldier killed in the German gas attack on Hill 60, 5/5/15. Knowing what an awful death gas poisoning must have caused, I often think a "Shot through the temple" letter would have been more fitting. Phil B

Desmond, he died at the somme. Ed (the forum user), toldme that they were not on the line for long periods of time (hes a grenadier expert).

Thanks

Dave

In my readings on WW1, I have often gained the impression that some denominations` chaplains spent more time at the sharp end than others and that this may have been a result of differing directions from above. Did the chaplains (of whatever denomination) take their directives from one CO, who might have been of a different denomination, or did each denomination have its own CO issuing guidance to chaplain behaviour? Phil B

Dave - Your man KIA 9th September 1916. Guards involved in Battle of Flers Courcelette from 15th to 28th September with action also at Morval. 'The Somme Day by day' by Chris McCarthy? is great reference for the Somme actions.

More importantly, in your case he gives temperatures/weather conditions day by day. If your man did die of exposure this data should give you an idea of just how bad the conditions were.

I bow to the Guards experts on the forum and it is well known that they were always looked upon as elite units of the army. But when you look at the dates, that is roughly a fortnight in combat situation. During that time, I would be fairly sure that casualties from general wear and tear on physical health would be pretty severe.

Perhaps he was shell-shocked, concussed and had to lie out in pretty awful damp and miserable conditions until he could be brought in. The combination of the two may have led to the 'given description?

Cheers Des

Phil - posted some basics on this before where RC Chaplains had a very good reputation with the troops for being up with the infantry. However, I think it's fair to say that most of the chaplains who were attached to battalions etc did their duty well.

With regard to the Hill 60 posting and newspaper references in general, I find these to be an invaluable resource and with a bit of cross referencing they can help build a tremendous overall picture.

Shell shock in connection with physical wound angle to this man's death.

And on another point - I note that not one of my 'regulars or reserves' have obits which contain letters from from officers etc - but when the Service Btns. go overseas, the officers seem very keen to contact the people at home.

Captain Jenks, doing the writing here, died in July of the same year. He was a senior official at Larne Harbour. I think he was an Englishman by birth.

Des

Rifleman W. Allen dies of wounds

MR. Samuel Allen, farmer, Dunnyvadden, Kells, has received official notice that his fourth son, Rfn. W. Allen Royal Irish Rifles (Ulster Division) died of wounds on May 17.

The first intimation received on Saturday from Capt. J. E. Jenks, was as follows:-

“In the field, May 13. Dear Mrs. Allen, I much regret to inform you that your son No. 6530 Rfn. W. Allen, was rather severely wounded in the leg this afternoon. He was sentry in the front line trench when a heavy high explosive shell struck close to where he was standing, a fragment of it striking him above the ankle. I am afraid I shall not be able to give you any news of how he is getting on as once a man is sent back from the line we don’t know to which hospital he is sent and can’t communicate. I am very sorry to lose him, even if it is only for a time. He was a quiet, good lad and always did his work well.”

This letter was follows on Monday by a second letter from Capt. Jenks dated 17th inst, which was as follows:-

“Dear Mrs. Allen, I deeply regret to inform you that your son 12/6530 Rfn. W. Allen, who was wounded on the 15th inst., has since died. Although his wounds did not at first appear grave, it seems they were and combined with the severe shock of the bursting shell, he succumbed to their effect. I deeply sympathise with you on your sad loss.

“Your boy was a great favourite with the others of his platoon and a good soldier - which, after all is the best one can say of anyone in these trying times and is the proudest way one can live, or die if need be. I am so sorry to be the bearer of this ill news.”

Rfn. Allen joined the army 12 months ago and went to the front with the 12th Royal Irish Rifles in the Ulster Division. Prior to his enlistment he was employed on his father’s farm. He was a member of the local company of the UVF. Mr. Allen has two other sons with the colours, Private Samuel Allen and Private Robert Allen, who are at present training with the Canadians. Rifleman Allen was highly popular in the district and much sympathy is felt with his relatives in their bereavement.

Ballymena Observer, May 26, 1916

post-1-1087653303.jpg

My apologies Dave. Got my numerals mixed up.

Des

So desmond, Do you think my great great uncle may have been wounded in action (and the cause of his death described as trench exposure to avoid giving details of wounds)? Bear in mind that he was taken off the line to Abbeville where he died on the 18th September 1916, some way from the battle of fleurs Courcelette.

Dave - I don't think so.

You have to ask yourself where the weekly newspaper from which you are getting the 'shell shock/exposure' combination of factors received its information.

In the case of my home-town weekly, it is fairly plain that while official lists came through, other details/pictures/letters home etc had been provided by proud parents/wives etc.

Therefore, if the family did indeed provide the newspaper with this information they must have received details of this from an official source.

I don't think an official source would seek to 'avoid' giving details when reporting a reason for death. They played strictly by the book.

Des