The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

First World War Letters of Gen. Lord Horne

edwin astill

Just noticed a review of these letters edited by Simon Robbins (published last year) in the Autumn number of JSAHR (also has a review of our own Jack Sheldon's book on the Germans at Cambrai). Did a search to see if anyone had reviewed here but failed to spot one. Will get a copy as information on this chap is pretty scarce.

Edwin

I read the review (by Nick Lloyd), too, Edwin. Looks very good: the final sentence of the review is "This book is a valuable addition to the literature of the Great War"

For anyone interested, the details are:

The First World War Letters of General Lord Horne, by Simon Robbins (Ed): Stroud: The History Press for the Army Records Society, 2009. ISBN 978-0-7524-5463-4. 370pp, £20.00

TRIVIA

There is a photograph of "General Horne having his hair cut" on page 71 of 'Under Fire in the Dardanelles' by the late Major the Hon. Edward Cadogan [iSBN 1 84415 374 6]

And another on page 73 of the same tome, which is captioned 'Feasting on Fortnam (sic) and Mason General Horne, Flint and "Apples"'.

The Forward to this book was written by Cadogan's namesake, Vicount Chelsea and the editors were Kira Charatan and Camilla Cecil.

How strange than none of these people could spell the name of their grocer.

Went to Waterstones this morning, but not surprised they hadn't got it. But they could get it for me for £50.... against the review's mention of a £20 price tag. So off to Abebooks courtesy of the Forum. What's going on here?

Edwin

:huh:

:o

:wacko:

Will try to get hold of a copy - Horne is one of the least known generals and I understood he never published his memoires.

The letters could be quite revealing

Guest Sec Army Records Society

I hope you won't mind this intervention, but I was alerted to a price of £50 being quoted for The First World War Letters of General Lord Horne.

The book was published by the Army Records Society. My name is Jim Beach, and I am the Society's Honorary Secretary. We are a not-for-profit organisation with charitable status (no. 326484) that exists to edit and publish manuscripts relating to the history of the British Army.

If you join the Society (£25 per annum), you can obtain a copy of the Horne volume for only £20. The Society has 5 other First World War volumes available in its back catalogue. By joining you would not only support our work, but you will also receive a copy of this year's volume (The Military Papers of Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Cuthbert Headlam, 1910-1942) which also has a great deal of First World War content. Other First World War-related volumes are scheduled to be published by the Society in the coming years.

We also have a 'special offer' running in conjunction with the Western Front Association. Members of the WFA who join the ARS have the option of receiving a free copy of our very first volume The Military Correspondence of Field Marshal Sir Henry Wilson, 1918-1922, although they will have to pay £3 postage.

Full details about the Society can be found on our website

It is my intention to monitor this discussion thread for the next few days and respond to any queries you might have.