The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

William John INGLIS(H)

Auimfo

Can anyone give me some advice?

I'm trying to research my GGGG-Grandfather William John INGLIS/INGLISH/ENGLISH who apparantly served in the British Army.

He was born/baptized at St Cuthbert's, Edinburgh in 1791. Unfortunately, his name has invariably been spelt several ways as noted above. All his ancestors used the name INGLIS but it appears it was with him that the name started to be spelt with different variations until it reached my mother by which time it was spelt ENGLISH. (I'm told that INGLIS is scottish for ENGLISH)

He was married to Anna Elizabeth DOLLEN but I have no further records relating to this. His son, Francis, was born in 1821 and died in 1893. On Francis' death certificate it lists his father, William, as deceased and whose occupation had been an Army Pensioner.

My G-Grandfather served in the 2/HLI 1902-1919 so is there any likelihood he joined the same regiment as his ancestor. (which would have been the 74th Highlanders back then.)

Is there any way of locating records from this period? Does anyone have access to such records?

I'm a long way off in Australia and any advice would be of great assistance.

Thanks,

Tim L.

P.S. I know this isn't WW1 related but I thought someone out there may have more knowledge about this than me.

Tim

I have Inglis & Dowlen (?) in my family tree, could we share some common history? :rolleyes:

Drop me an e-mail off-forum if you would like to discuss further.

Regards

Andy