The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A Bloody Picnic(Tommy's Humour,1914 - 18)

dycer

Author is Alan Weeks.

Just picked up this paperback,whilst sneaking into Waterstones for a warm and escape from the weather,so haver not had a chance to read it.

Priced at £9-99 and contains 206 pages.Chapters range from "Do you suffer from cheerfulness" to "Animals-Round-Up".

Will add a review in due course so just alerting the Forum to the Books existence.

George

Come on George! Give us an example!! Could do with a good laugh in this weather!^_^

Geraint,

Your wish is my command. :D

ALL OLD CROCKS:Army Ordnance Corps.

FRIGIFIED:Frozen feet.

HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DIARRHOEA EXCUSE-Advice to officers in pamphlet about men disrupting marches(March 1917).

NICKY:A fag end-just enough for two draws and a fit of coughing.

SCENE SHIFTER:The name given to an enormous field gun near Arras in 1917.

STAR OF THE MOVIES: Number Nine pill for constipation.

George

Excellent George!

The diarrhoea one is a real cheek-clencher!:blush:

• 2 years later...

Bert,

Sorry for the delay in responding!I had to refresh my memory of the book. :D

It appears,from my rereading,to be an anthology of WW1 amusing soldiers anecdotes extracted from already published war literature and gathered together in one volume.

The bibliography is quite extensive and,therefore,offers a wide list of Books that could be read to widen WW1 knowledge and thus flesh out the humorous to include the realities e.g.an amusing incident that occurred whilst under shellfire.

For dedicated WW1 humour Books I would recommend "The best 500 Cockney War Stories" or "The First Hundred Thousand" by Ian Hay (both those books are included in the "A Bloody Picnic" bibliography).

I would not,however,dismiss "A Bloody Picnic" as it serves as a general but not complete WW1 humour anthology.

Trust this is of assistance to you.

George

Sounds like a good read... will definitely look for it.

Dycer, it's my experience that books found "par hasard" are mostly the best. I found "trench talk" also at Waterstones while waiting for a friend in London. we were supposed to meet up at embankment station, and I was early... so got into Waterstones and bought half the shop... :whistle:

Marilyne