The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd BN/185th Bn/RCR, CEF

BottsGreys

I hope I will be indulged in sharing the information I have accumulated thus far in researching the military service histories of the trio below: Arthur B. Gibbons (seated) and his brothers, Chester (left rear) and Robert. They are pictured in a real-photo postcard inscribed on reverse with their three names/ranks and "Witly Eng. Xmas 1917." They were the children of Robert and Margaret Elizabeth Gibbons. The two oldest sons, Arthur and Chester, were born in the United States. The youngest son, Robert, was born after the family moved to Nova Scotia. At some point prior to the war, Margaret became Mrs. J.W. Adams--whether this was due to her first husband's death or divorce I have yet to ascertain. PHOTOGRAPH follows bios below:

Pte. ARTHUR BURNHAM GIBBONS, No. 470228 (seated) eldest brother, born: June 2, 1891, Melrose. Massachusetts, USA. An unmarried teamster, Arthur enlisted at Sussex, New Brunswick on Sept. 15, 1915. He left Halifax, NS, March 31, 1916, on the SS Adriatic as a member of C Company, 64th Overseas Bn, and arrived in Liverpool on April 9th. He transferred to 2nd Battalion (Eastern Ontario Regt) on July 5, 1916. On Sept. 10, 1916, he was admitted to the No.8 Stationary Hospital, Wimereux, with a gunshot wound to right thigh (have not ascertained date/place of wounding). Rejoined unit in the field, April 13, 1917. To hospital sick on June 14, 1917. Rejoined unit from hospital, June 30, 1917. Granted 10 days leave to England, October 28, 1917, returned November 8, 1917. Appointed Lance Corporal, December 31, 1917. Died September 7, 1918, at Casualty Clearing Station 45 of shrapnel wounds, left shoulder, received on September 3rd.

Buried in Bac-du-Sud British Cemetery, Bailleulval, France.

War Diary of Sept. 3, 1918, for 2nd Bn describes action in which he was wounded:

"...verbal instructions were received that the 4th Bn. would attack the BUISSY SWITCH with the Battalion as support, and, if the attack were successful, the high ground W. of the Canal du Nord would be occupied by the 2nd Bn. Shortly after 1.00 p.m. the 4th Bn. was reported to be advancing, and companies moved off from the assembly area. Crossing the valley between the BOIS de BOUCHE, BOIS de LOISON and the BUISSY SWITCH was accomplished but not without great difficulty, and unfortunately, not a few casualties. Enemy shelling increased until barrage rate was attained and intense machine gun fire was encountered. The advance now developed from the regular formation to short sectional rushes until finally PAULIN WOOD was reached, and the position consolidated. Night passed uneventfully..."

Pte. CHESTER GIBBONS, No. 469515, (back left), born September 15, 1897, Melrose, Massachusetts, USA. Unmarried school teacher, he enlisted at Sussex, New Brunswick on August 28, 1915. He accompanied Arthur to England on the Adriatic as a fellow member of the 64th Bn and then into the 2nd Bn. On

October 15, 1916, he suffered severe shrapnel wounds to his left foot, ankle, and

thigh. The 2nd Bn. War Diary belies how eventful the day was for him: "In Reserve. 15/10/16. Artillery active. In evening, Battalion moved out via ALBERT to billets in BOUZINCOURT, arriving at 10.30 pm." Unable to walk for 2 months, on crutches for 4 months, and then consigned to the use of 2 walking sticks (canes), Chester never returned to the field. His convalescent journey sent him through several hospitals from France through Manchester to Epsom, where he arrived at Woodcote Park Hospital on February 22, 1917. Eventually, he was officially transferred to the CAMC perform light duty at WoodCote Hospital. He was appointed acting corporal on February 27, 1918. His long stay at Epsom did have a silver lining for him as on March 26, 1919, he was granted permission to marry and on April 24th took a local Surrey girl, Eleanor Ada (last name unknown) of "Worlds End, The Durdans(?), Epsom" as his wife. He and Eleanor embarked from Liverpool on the Metagama, September 9, 1919, and arrived in Quebec, where he was demobbed as medically unfit for further service on

September 21st.

Pte. ROBERT THOMPSON GIBBONS, No. 902517, (right rear), also an unmarried teamster. Born in Parrsboro, Cumberland County, Nova Scotia, the youngest brother apparently falsified his age--when he enlisted at Aldershot on June 22, 1916, he gave his birth date as August 17, 1897, which would make him one month older than his older brother Chester. Robert left Halifax October 12, 1916, arriving in Liverpool October 18th. At Witley,England, he was transferred to the 185th Battalion (Cape Breton Highlanders) on December 28, 1916. However, when he proceeded the France on March 1, 1918, he did so for service with the Royal Canadian Regiment (RCR). He joined that unit, March 5, 1918. He was absent taking a Lewis Gun course from Oct. 5/18 until Oct. 29/18. Embarked from England to Canada March 1, 1919. and was discharged March 15, 1919.

Chris

post-1-1087592946.jpg

Great triple tie-up of details and a brilliant picture. My congrats.

Des

Chris

I do not know if you have this but Pte. Robert Thompson Gibbons was a originally 193rd battalion Joining on June 22 1916 as you already know. He was a member of "C" Coy. Nr. 11 Platoon. below is a scan fron the 193rd picture book.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.

P.S. I will try and get Hensley's Scans off a little later.

post-1-1087597284.jpg

Hi Chris:

Thanks for this very informative post and photograph.

Here's a little background information on the 64th Battalion from their history 'The Story of The 64th Battalion c.e.f. 1915-1916':

The 64th Bn. was authorized on June 17, 1915 under the command of Lt. Col. H. Montgomery Campbell. On August 18, 1915 the battalion Headquarters was moved to Sussex, New Brunswick. On November 4, 1915 the 64th moved to Halifax, Nova Scotia with a unit strength of 1250 strong.

The 64th sailed for England aboard the S. S. Adriatic on April 1, 1916 and arrived in Liverpool mid-afternoon April 9. On April 10 the battalion arrived at their first camp at Bramshott. On May 1 the battalion moved to Otterpool in Kent.

This is the listing for Arthur and Chester in the 64th's nominal roll:

(Regimental No.) *470228 (Rank) Private (Name) Gibbons, Arthur B. (Taken On Strength) Sussex - September 15, 1915 *Died on Active Service

(Regimental No.) 469515 (Rank) Private (Name) Gibbons, Chester (Taken On Strength) Sussex - August 28, 1916

Arthur is one of 243 officers and men, from the 64th Battalion, who died in the Great War. These men are remembered on a large bronze tablet inside the main entrance to the Trinity Church in Sussex, New Brunswick.

Thanks again Chris.

Garth

Des; N.S.; Garth:

Thanks for the encouragement and the info reRobert Gibbons and the background of the 64th Bn. I am glad you guys found it of interest.

Now I'll pick your brains a little. As I noted, the photo is inscribed, "Witly (sic) Eng. Xmas 1917." Service record states that Arthur was granted 10 days leave to England on Oct. 28, 1917, and that he returned to his unit, Nov. 8, 1917. Wouldn't the chances be pretty slim that he would be granted leave again wherein he would be in Witley, England, with his brothers at the end of December that year? Two long furloughs in less than 2 months. I am thinking that perhaps the photo was taken during his late October leave and was sent home as a Christmas present for that year. The already-wounded Chester was already assigned to Epsom and Robert was apparently at Witley in preparation for duty in France for all of 1917.

Any thoughts?

Chris

Hi Chris:

As you said, the chances of going on leave again to England, less than 60 days after returning from leave are slim. Not impossible, but slim. There were just too many men in each battalion who were due leave to grant someone a second absence from the battalion.

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment that the photograph was taken in October, 1917 and sent home to the folks as a Christmas gift. What a priceless Christmas gift it turned out to be 86 years later.

As a point of interest, there were 37,391 men who were born in the United States that served in the CEF during the Great War. In round figures, that's about 5% of the CEF enlistments. This number comes from a magazine article written by Will R. Bird on March 25, 1933.

Garth

Chris

If he made it back to England In Dec. It should be in his service record. I have over a hundred service records and every time that one left the battalion it was usally recorded. Some things I have run across were wounded, sick, on leave, special training, temp. attached to another unit, gaining a commission and being arrested. If there is no mention of him going in Dec. I would say you are right and the photo was taken in Oct.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt

Garth: Thanks so much for sharing info. on the sacrifices of the men of the 64th Bn and for the photos of the Adriatic and the Trinity Church Memorial and for the stats of Amis CEF soldiers--I guess 37,000 is pretty notable. I wonder, however, if the brothers considered themselves Canadian-- living in Canada when war broke.

N.S.: No mention in his record of any other leave.

I am inclined to agree wholeheartedly that the image was made in October 1917 and that the inscription pertains to when it was presented to someone.

Chris