The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Seek Glory Now keep Glory

sueburden

Sue - the book has a prologue covering 1675 to 1914, then covers all of the Great War years. Anything I can look up for you?

Alan

Can anyone tell me the years covered in this book please.

Sue.

The sub title is

The Story of the 1st Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1914-1918

which says it all I guess

Thank you Alan and Centurion.

I didnt' know about the sub title. Nothing you can look up Alan, but thank you for the kind offer.

I am interested in the 1/7th because my grandfather was in the Warwickshires, but time served in May 1916. When he went back he was put in the Labour Force. That is why I was interested in the time period covered.

I mean to get the book but as the cheapest on Amazon is £40 it will not be till after Christmas.

Sue.

Abe Books have copies in the USA for £24 but the shipping cost is high. If you have a contact in the USA who is coming over anyway it might be worth it

Sue, I'm afraid that this book is irrelevant if you are researching someone in 1/7th Battalion, a Territorial Force unit. 'Seek Glory...' is purely about the 1st (Regular) Battalion. The war record of 1/7th Warwicks is briefly dealt with in 'The Story of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment' by C.L. Kingsford (Country Life 1921). 'Seek Glory...' itself is an interesting book but is not really the detailed history of 1st Battalion throughout the war which you might expect from the subtitle. It concentrates on the early battles and particularly the 'Elkington/Mainwaring Incident' during the retreat from Mons. The rest of the war is dealt with in a couple of chapters at the end in what is essentially a precis of the battalion War Diary.

Sue

Send me your proper e-mail address and I will send you a history of 1/7th to the end of May 1916.

Alan

Hello Sue

Can I also suggest that you get a copy of the book "THE FATEFUL BATTLE LINE" The Great War Journals and sketches of Captain Henry Ogle MC. Edited by Michael Glover. Published by Pen & Sword books 1993 isbn 0 85052 560 8. Henry Ogle enlisted into the ranks of the 1/7th Royal Warwicks and went to France with them in March 1915 until being commissioned in 1917. It gives a good insight of what life was like serving with the 1/7th. I very much recommend it.

all the best

Terry

• 3 years later...

If anyone is looking for a cheap copy (£100 + on Amazon) one has just been listed by a U.K seller on ABE at £10 + p&p (VG condition).