The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte Frank Guy Chadwick 13729

RichardW

I've recently found out that my Great, great uncle was killed in the Great War. and would like to know more.

I've found out quite alot about him by following advice on the Long Long Trail website but would be grateful if anyone has any further info/ advice for further research.

He was born in 1895 in Wrexham, joined up on 6.9.14 & was posted to the 7th battalion of the Ox & Bucks LI. He went to France with the battalion on 21.9.15 and then transferred to the Balkans in November. He was killed during the 'Battle of Horseshoe Hill' and is buried in Karasouli Military Cemetery - grave no. E.11119. His name appears on the Regimental Medal Roll for the 1914-15 star, British War & Victory medals.

I've written to the battalion who've sent a copy of their War Diary describing the night attack on Horseshoe Hill, during which he was killed. They've also sent a history of the 7th Battalion for 1914-18.

I'm not sure if there is much else I can find out about him.

Am I likely to find much else if I visit the PRO?

Thanks for any help.

Guest Pete Wood

SDGW has him listed, albeit his names have been mixed up (it's not uncommon), and he is shown as Pte Chadwick Frank Guy.

Information listed is:

Born and resided in Wrexham

Enlisted Birmingham

Killed in Action 18/08/16

His MIC is now online here http://www.documentsonline.pro.gov.uk/deta...&resultcount=38 but you have all this info.....

SDGW shows that 8 other men, from his battalion, were also killed in action this day.