The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Researching a chaplain

Dr ELG

Hello! I'm researching a chaplain who survived the war, Rev Kenneth Crisford and I have some information but not alot on his actual war service. He gets a brief mention in the Bickersteth Diaries. He was wounded in July 1916,won an MC and was with the 56th Division. I contacted the Museum of Army Chaplaincy but was put off by the charge of £15 per hour to do your own research. I would be very grateful for any help offered.

Doc - find out the Town and Church he was associated with and then consult your local reference library for a view of old papers. I've found loads about local clergy who went out to the front. Papers then seemed to thrive on items about local minister types doing their bit. And they were often platform speakers at recruitment rallies/special services etc when they were on leave.

des

Dr ELG

Have you consulted Crockfords's Clerical Directory? All ordained ministers are listed in each annual publication, including details of birthplace, education, incumbancies etc.

The Reverend Kenneth D. Crisford entered Emmanuel College, Oxford in 1906 and later at Wells Theological College. He was ordained as a Deacon on 24 Dec 1911 and as a Priest on 24 Dec 1912. As you indicate, he was a Chaplain of the Forces, 4th Class and was once wounded and received the Military Cross. On 11 Feb 22 he received an MA from Emmanuel College.

Regards. Dick Flory

His military service file will be held at the National Archives at Kew, as will details of his medal entitlements and gallantry award. The citation of the MC (unless it was in New Year or Birthday Honours) will have appeared in the London Gazette.

Thanks that's really helpful. Regards Dawn