The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Divisional Commanders & Dates

John Holmes

I am collecting information on the 20th (Light) Division but there is no mention of the Divisions' G.O.C.s in any of the books I've read through. Can anyone help on the commanders and their dates in command please.

John,

Do you have any specific interest in the 20th Div? I have access to the Divisional history (you may have this already), as well as a lot of info on the 7th Somersets (61st Brigade).

I am happy to help as much as I can.

Brendon.

Hi John

Like Brendon I have Div. History and I have produced a book on the 6/K.S.L.I., so have a big interest in one of the finest Division going.

Annette

Does anyone know whether Maj Gen Douglas Smith's relief from command in 1918 was because of genuine ill health, or was it because of the way he handled the division in the German offensive?

From my studies, he was a very able divisional commander, both on the Somme and through the Ypres offensive in 1917.

It is difficult to see what more the 20th Divn could have done in 1918 either.

Brendon.

(ps Annette - where can I get a copy of your book?)

Hi Brendon

It is difficult to see what more the 20th Divn could have done in 1918 either

Too right Brendon, the Division did very well, it only fell back when ordered to in accordance with the rest of XVIII Corps. In fact on one occasion they were in danger of being cut off because they held on while troops on its left flank retired safely (those on its right haveing been pushed back long before hand).

Annette

PS I will email you with details about the book

Hi Annette,

do you have any details of 7 KOYLI who, as you'll know, were with 61st, 20th Div.

My Great Uncle was killed at Cambrai on the first day of the Battle.

Thanks, Ted