The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

No 5 Casualty Clearing Station Tincourt

Chris Talbot

Greetings and Salutations

Hi all I have a few questions and was wondering if anyone can help.

First of all who was running the no5 clearing station on the above date?

Secondly did clearing stations have to fill in was diarys in the same way as front line units ?

Do the diarys survive and if so where are they?

Would the diarys list casualties who died on a particular day?

Would they list anymore information thn just the name of the casualty?

Yours Chris

Secondly did clearing stations have to fill in was diarys in the same way as front line units ?

Do the diarys survive and if so where are they?

Would the diarys list casualties who died on a particular day?

Would they list anymore information thn just the name of the casualty?

Perhaps the only easy answers to these questions concern Nos. 1 - 4 Canadian C.C.S. These are easy because the diaries are freely available on-line at the usual location, here:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/02015202_e.html

You can just browse about for a few hours and find out. Incidently, Canadian and other Dominion Casualty Stations and Hospitals were not restricted to casualties of their respective Dominions. Most of their casualties were British.

Specifically:

1. The War Diaries exhibit the same variability as do those of other types of units. Some are very terse; others more wordy.

2. It is very rare for the diaries to note any casualties by name. Some give totals of admissions, evacuations and deaths. Others do not.

3. Casualties and comings and goings among the Station staff are more likely to be mentioned.

4. An exception to this penury of information is displayed in the diary of No. 3 Canadian C.C.S. (Remy Siding). Between about May 1916 and June 1917 the particulars of deaths were generally recorded giving name, number, regiment, and type of injury. I am currently trying to transcribe these into a spreadsheet.

I presume similar nuggets of information exist in other diaries, if only they were easily available to be browsed.

Chris,

According to "Location of Hospitals and Casualty Clearing Stations, British Expeditionary Force 1914-1919", compiled by the Ministry of Pensions (1923), No 5 Casualty Cleasring Station was in Tincourt on this date. I don't think I understand what you mean by "who was running it"!

Rob

Dear All

I should have made my request clearer, so here goes

Private William Richards died of a head wound on the 24/8/1917 at No5 casualty clearing station Tincourt.

He was attatched to No1 Canadian Railway Company at the time of his death.

Acording to the Diary of No1 Railway company on the 24t/8/1917 they came under an artillery bombardment which destroyed six lengths of track, although the diary omits any details of casualtys, I feel that it would be fair to assume that this was the cause of Williams death.

However as we all know things sould never be assumed,.

My first post I asked who was running No5 casualty clearing station, by this I ment which regiment, but from RobertB’s post I now know that it was a British casualty clearing station, so would that mean that it was run by the RAMC?

If so which diarys should I look for so as if William is metioned I can possibly confirm that I am on the right track of finding out if my assumption is correct.

Hope that makes things a little clearer.

Yours Chris

Chris

The unit war diary for No.5 Casualty Clearing Station is held at the National Archives [PRO], ref. WO95/498. I've not looked at this, but I'm sure you'll find that it's purely an account of the administration of the unit, and the overall day to day changes. Admission and discharge registers, and patient records were held seperately, and only a representative selection were kept, which don't include any for No.5 CCS.

Sue