The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Stretcher-Bearers and Signing Up

AdolescentAuthor

Thanks for all the extra info, Centenaurion!

I did realise the buglers etc could still be asked to fight, hence my asking AA which aspect of the story he was most determined to retain.

I'm determined for the stretcher-bearer part to be retained most, as whilst my character morally objects to the war, he thinks he still is obligated to help those involved. A bandsman would actually be possible as the character is also supposed to be able to play the accordion, and I could change this to include another instrument if that's not suitable.

The only secure way for the characters in the novel to end up in the RAMC is for them to have volunteered for the RAMC, as a number of men did so do well before conscription, on the basis that they were willing to contribute, but as non-combatants. It would simplify the story, as well making it more realistic, if their volunteering was not later than the end of 1915, .and they volunteered at a recruiting office in Ireland. Forget the complications of moving to Liverpool, conscriptions, tribunals etc. There is the notional possibility of such men being forcibly transferred to the infantry, as I mentioned did happen, but as it did not happen in evrery case, there is no need to mention it if it does not form part of the story.

This is really useful information & certainly something I'll keep in mind. Thank you!

surprised none of the original contributors noted this discussion on stretcher bearers/bandsmen from 2007

http://1914-1918.inv...showtopic=87528

but then again...

Ken

Thank you for this. It's incredibly useful!

I honestly don't know. The only snag that I can see from the point of view of the authorities is that he might change his mind and ' un-volunteer'. I am thinking of under age lads fibbing about their age and the trouble that caused. It was an offence to lie under oath regardless of the intention.

Since the proposed story is fiction, does it matter if these arcane legal points are factual? A good story will rise above stuff like that. Incidentally, " The Great Push", by Patrick MacGill is a fictionalised account of an Irish soldier of the London Irish serving as a stretcher bearer at Loos. It was written by a well regarded working class poet and author who had served with the London Irish as a stretcher bearer. If you have not read this little book, it might be worth a look.

This book sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you!

Going back to Tom's point about fiction, I think if a novel purports to deal with the impact of WW1 on individual lives, it's all right if things are made to happen which were rare, but could happen in the circumstances, but not if they simply could not have happened. Otherwise you're not dealing with WW1: the framework needs to be authentic and the imagination comes in with the individual story. If I read in a novel of a man signing up as stretcher bearer because he was a conscientious objector and being able to go into the trenches with combatant soldiers when that never happened, then I lose trust in the author. But if it was rare for a musician to be able to be a bandsman, but not impossible that it could happen by luck, that's acceptable, in my book.

Liz

This is exactly my own reaction. I think it's only right and fair that I don't totally diverge from factual history, even if the novel is fiction.

This is exactly my own reaction. I think it's only right and fair that I don't totally diverge from factual history, even if the novel is fiction.

I think the bandsman line is a red herring unless he enlisted as such pre war (and an accordion wouldn't cut it). Stretcher bearer isn't a problem except that he couldn't opt for this when enlisting. The biggest problem is someone enlisting (or being conscripted) but refusing to bear arms and then becoming a stretcher bearer - this simply did not happen.

To ensure that this man is recorded in the Peace Pledge Union CO database, could you kindly send details of the article to the PPU Archivist:

archives@ppu.org.uk

Thanks

Have now scanned the article and sent it to that address. Although the PPU may already know of him as a couple of articles about his case and stance appeared in theTimes in 1916. Should I also send those, or do you/they have access to that database? The article I sent appeared in the Daily Sketch August 1918, and is actually in one newspaper that is part of a six issue bound set. The headline of the article was "Conchy's Suicide", " Even Quaker Ambulance work was too much for him"

Found another interesting case, same paper, titled "Glad Hatter No 6" "St Albans tribunal refused exemption to.... ...... ..... sixth son of a hatter who pleaded conscientious objection. ,,,, who is a fruit and vegetable grower, said he would not kill a worm; he had lived on a non-flesh diet since infancy. Neither he nor his five non-combatant brothers would enter their father's business because felt was used" Wonder why they objected to felt, unless the production involved animals (?).

Anyhow, that is going away from the thread subject but shall I also send the case above to the PPU?

Caryl

Have now scanned the article and sent it to that address. Although the PPU may already know of him as a couple of articles about his case and stance appeared in the Times in 1916. Should I also send those, or do you/they have access to that database? The article I sent appeared in the Daily Sketch August 1918, and is actually in one newspaper that is part of a six issue bound set. The headline of the article was "Conchy's Suicide", " Even Quaker Ambulance work was too much for him"

Found another interesting case, same paper, titled "Glad Hatter No 6" "St Albans tribunal refused exemption to.... ...... ..... sixth son of a hatter who pleaded conscientious objection. ,,,, who is a fruit and vegetable grower, said he would not kill a worm; he had lived on a non-flesh diet since infancy. Neither he nor his five non-combatant brothers would enter their father's business because felt was used" Wonder why they objected to felt, unless the production involved animals (?).

Anyhow, that is going away from the thread subject but shall I also send the case above to the PPU?

Caryl

Thanks for sending the first mentioned article, and, yes, please also send the two Times articles and the other Daily Sketch article. The PPU archives depend primarily on voluntary labour, but one aim of its CO Project is to make the CO database a 'clearing house' for all known resources on individual COs - press references, book references, archive catalogue references etc - in other words, a master index of information on individual British COs: 8700 entered so far, 4100 from WW1. This would not be possible without the goodwill of numerous correspondents sending in or drawing attention to material.