The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Army Service Corps 1902/1918 Michael Young

Auchonvillers

Hello to all,

I have just opened a package of a belated xmas gift given to me by my wife. To my delight it was a mint copy of Michael Young's book. As an A.S.C. researcher it will be an invaluable source of reference material.

Mark.

OOOPS!!!!!

I think I shall retire to the dugout and wait for the time "When The Barrage Lifts" LOL!!!!

Mark.

An excellent book! I have had my copy for many years and use it on a regular basis. Given that it has become difficult to find a copy of it, maybe it is time for a reprint?

All the best,

Gary

Just had another look at ama**n uk and they have two used copies of the book for a cool 260 odd pounds. Have decided I don't really need the book after all. :lol:

Just had another look at ama**n uk and they have two used copies of the book for a cool 260 odd pounds. Have decided I don't really need the book after all. :lol:

I purchased my copy for £105 include post last July & three days after it arrived,I saw 1 on ebay so watched it but did not bid & when it finished I checked it out to find that only 1 bid had been made & it sold for £50. I could have kicked my self.

But I am more than happy with my copy as it was mint

Peter

• 1 year later...

I've just had an email from the author saying that a reprint has been issued with extra illustrations. Check it out on Amazon - and if you do buy a copy please do so via the Forum. (I think the simplest way to do this is via the "Donations" link at the top left of this page.)

Moonraker

The author himself is a little embarrassed by the price the publishers are asking, and I infer from Kath's "sad face" that she wishes there was a paperback edition at a lower price.

Moonraker

Happy morning, finally managed to get a message from Amazon that an order I placed yesterday has been shipped. It has taken some years to

finally snap up one of the rare copies. For once the price was secondary.

When you think that second hand copies of the original edition were rare to find and selling for hundreds of pounds,fifty pounds for the new edition sounds quite reasonable to me.

Thanks, all.

Seeing the word 'reprint' I jumped to the conclusion it would be paperback. :doh::blush:

No, it's an understandable price. Will have to start hinting to nearest & dearest. :closedeyes:

Kath.

When first published in 2000 it obviously had little impact because then were selling copies off at £15, £10 off the original price of £25.

A great deal of the same narrative information can also be found in Col R H Beadon's history of the RASC, Vol. II, (pub. 1930 and available as a recent reprint)

Where Col Michael Young has outshone his predecessor is in the detail which he has packed into his Annexes; pages 195-391, or about half the book

Guest Hannah0904

I've just had an email from the author saying that a reprint has been issued with extra illustrations. Check it out on Amazon - and if you do buy a copy please do so via the Forum. (I think the simplest way to do this is via the "Donations" link at the top left of this page.)

Moonraker

Hi Moonraker, I'm trying to get hold of the author of the A.S.C. book Michael Young and wondered whether you would mind putting me in touch (you mentioned you were in email contact in your post quoted above). I'm doing some research for the BBC genealogy series "Who Do You Think You Are?" in the hopes of possibly featuring a section about the Royal Army Service Corps and understand that he might be the best person to speak to! Do you think he would mind me contacting him?

Best wishes,

Hannah

The RASC is one of the proceedings Corps of the Royal Logistic Corps, here is the contact for the museum:

The Royal Logistic Corps Museum

The Princess Royal Barracks

Blackdown Road

Deepcut, Camberley

Surrey

GU16 6RW

(GU16 6SL for Sat-Nav and online maps)

01252 833371

I'm sure they will be able to help you out, however , tomorrow is the Corps opening-day so they could be very busy, bear this in mind if you are trying to contact them today.

Best of luck with your research.

Hi Moonraker, I'm trying to get hold of the author of the A.S.C. book Michael Young and wondered whether you would mind putting me in touch (you mentioned you were in email contact in your post quoted above). I'm doing some research for the BBC genealogy series "Who Do You Think You Are?" in the hopes of possibly featuring a section about the Royal Army Service Corps and understand that he might be the best person to speak to! Do you think he would mind me contacting him?

Hannah

PM sent, Hannah, though Michael points out that his area of interest is the Army Service Corps, ie up to 1918, when it was granted the "Royal" prefix.

Mooonraker

If you can get to the National Archives the source forthe data base in the book can be found in WO 95/5494. Beware though, the pages have been preserved in a fibre glass type material which irritated my skin somewhat.

TR

Whoopee - finally it has arrived - a 2nd edition of the Michael Young book. Only took 8 days from order placement to arrive in Oz and delivery. Needless to say there will be plenty of reading to

catch up on.

• 1 month later...

That's not a bad price, and would probably pay a bit more. I wouldn't pay some of the prices that appear to have been asked. I wonder what percentage the author actually gets?

Mike