The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Army Service Corps 1902/1918 Michael Young

Auchonvillers

Mike,

There was a thread a few days ago about prices, the author gets 10 percent I believe. I paid 48 pounds for mine so line ball but have seen books on the

bay with last bid at 70 - just asking to get burnt in my opinion.

Don't mind author getting his bit. I did pay £80 for Nulli Secundus 2nd AIF, but I would be struggling to pay much more than that for a book.

Look forward to Michael Young's book arriving.

Mike

• 3 years later...
Guest agedandfaceless

It is some time since I last looked at this subject, but I would like to add three remarks:

I understand the author of "Army Service Corps 1902-1918" does not get a penny for the reprint of his book, or indeed the resale used copies of the 1st edition, although he received three free copies of the reprint from the printer, which have been donated to known museums or a library.

The mention of exorbitant prices paid for second-hand copies can be disregarded as they were paid only in America, not in UK.

What might not be known is that a second book, somewhat complementary to the 2000-published book, will be published in limited numbers by the author later this year (2016) entitled "Postcards of the Army Service Corps 1902-1918. Coming of Age". I gather it will contain over 500 postcards of the ASC, with the usual Introduction and good captions and footnotes, also a brief historical evolution of the ASC's predecessors to provide some form of perspective.

It is some time since I last looked at this subject, but I would like to add three remarks:

The mention of exorbitant prices paid for second-hand copies can be disregarded as they were paid only in America, not in UK.

I sold my copy (before it was reprinted) for £150 to a buyer in the U.K.

An "e" version is available on Kindle. A bit more awkward to flip through but still useful!

All the best,

Gary

I understand the author of "Army Service Corps 1902-1918" does not get a penny for the reprint of his book, or indeed the resale used copies of the 1st edition, although he received three free copies of the reprint from the printer, which have been donated to known museums or a library.

What might not be known is that a second book, somewhat complementary to the 2000-published book, will be published in limited numbers by the author later this year (2016) entitled "Postcards of the Army Service Corps 1902-1918. Coming of Age". I gather it will contain over 500 postcards of the ASC, with the usual Introduction and good captions and footnotes, also a brief historical evolution of the ASC's predecessors to provide some form of perspective.

I remember seeing the postcards going through a well known auction site a couple of years ago. There were some crackers in the collection, especially of Grove Park. Unfortunately, very few were within my budget, (I think I bought two), so I look forward to the book. I have a feeling though, that if it is going to be a limited edition, it will be beyond my means.

Phil (who paid about £100 for the 1st edition, six months before the reprint was announced)

• 8 months later...

Good Evening, To introduce myself, Michael Young (the author) is my uncle. I am sorry to say he passed away yesterday after a long battle with cancer. I'm not a military man myself but after quickly surfing the net it would seem this would be the best platform via this thread to announce this. He put his heart and soul into all he did and I was always in awe of him as a child having a Lieutenant Colonel as an uncle! 

Please feel free to share this as you see fit and thank you for taking the time to read his work. 

Duncan Young 

Edited by DUNCAN YOUNG

Duncan,

I am sure that all the members of this forum would wish to express their condolences to you and your family for your loss.

I am sure that all of us who have an interest in the Army Service Corps would like to express our gratitude to him for all the work he did in compiling his epic work.

As one who has delved into only a few ASC war diaries, I can speak on my own behalf  and say that without his book, and catalogue of war diaries, the work would have been much harder.

Perhaps it will be some comfort to your family to know that his book will continue to be the standard work in this field, and that his name, and I hope his memory will live on as a result

Duncan,

I am so sorrry to hear this news! I knew that he hadn't been well but had the impression/hope that he had rallied. We shared a deep interest in all things ASC. In addition, I visited him when he was the RCT Museum curator and he encouraged my articles when he was the editor of the RLC Journal. I will greatly miss him! 

All the best,

Gary

Duncan, I was very sorry to hear this. I visited your uncle two or three years ago in connection with ASC activities in Wiltshire and was very happy to buy several relevant photographic postcards from him. I was also impressed by the large monitor screen linked to his PC, which enabled images on cards to be enlarged, revealing details that thitherto had eluded me!

He was a very pleasant host, and obviously very knowledgeable about his subject.

Moonraker

Duncan,

my condolences to you and to the family.

Your Uncle's research and published work has been of immense help to those of us with connections to the ASC and he will be gratefully remembered by all

Michael

Duncan,

Please accept my condolences to you and family. I learned more about the ASC from your uncles book than from any other source. I was

particularly interested in the activities of that organization, having one of my grandfathers serving in it from 1915-1919.

Very sad to hear of Michael's death. He was very approachable and very modest. His Army Service Corps 1902-1918 faces me as I write this.

Charles M

Hello Duncan

May I add my condolences to those already expressed. I did not know your uncle very well, but I had met him quite a few times and he was always a cheerful soul. I regard his book as absolutely essential reading for anyone studying the ASC in the Great War.

May he rest in peace.

Ron

To All, 

Thank you for your kind thoughts, I will be sure to pass them on to my family. I was with my Father (Tony) yesterday (who retired a Staff Sergeant after 30 plus years of service in the 80s) and knows his military memorabilia, we were starting the sad task of clearing Michaels home. In essence it's more a military museum than a home! Be sure to know his life's work, and all things military is in safe hands and will be well looked after. 

It's lovely to know people hold him in such high regard.

Best, 

Duncan

Edited by DUNCAN YOUNG

Duncan,

My condolences to you and all of Michael's family.

I doubt there is an ASC thread on this forum that does not have some reference to Michael's work. My copy is rarely on the book shelf.

Phil

Duncan, So sad to hear of Michaels passing.  I had a great many dealing with him whilst he was the Curator of our (RCT) corps museum and the editor of the Waggoner.  I have informed various Facebook Forums dedicated to the Royal corps of Transport of which many members remember your uncle with great affection. .  His driver (Walter Andrews) from when he was the Commanding Officer of 153 Highland Transport Regiment wishes to know if there are any funeral arrangements so that he may attend such was his admiration for your uncle.  

3 hours ago, Saints & Sinners said:

Duncan, So sad to hear of Michaels passing.  I had a great many dealing with him whilst he was the Curator of our (RCT) corps museum and the editor of the Waggoner.  I have informed various Facebook Forums dedicated to the Royal corps of Transport of which many members remember your uncle with great affection. .  His driver (Walter Andrews) from when he was the Commanding Officer of 153 Highland Transport Regiment wishes to know if there are any funeral arrangements so that he may attend such was his admiration for your uncle.  

Thank you for your thoughts and for taking the time to let others know, of course Walter would be welcome to attend as would anyone who wishes. The funeral, I can confirm will be at The cathedral Church of St. Michael and St. George in Aldershot, and I will confirm the date with you as soon as I know, it is likely to be during the week commencing 14/11/16.  I will keep you updated as to when I know anything, and again, please feel free to pass on this information as you see fit.

Duncan Young

Edited by DUNCAN YOUNG

Duncan

I am so sorry to hear of Michael's passing.

Over the years he has certainly helped me out on various Army Service Corps matters, as well as acquiring one or two ASC related post cards from me.

One incident that sticks in my mind, involved a de-activated SMLE Rifle which Michael asked me to deliver to the RTC Museum at Buller Barracks, Aldershot. I drove straight through the main Barracks Gates, without being challenged, and parked outside the Museum. He thanked me for delivering the SMLE and then telephoned the Guard House, giving the poor chap on the end of the line, a dressing down for not checking my car and for allowing me to park directly outside the Museum :)

Please accept my condolences.

Sepoy