The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RHA OFFICER - GEORGE HENRY CLEMENTS

Guest Bill258

Guest Bill258

[/b] GEORGE HENRY CLEMENTS (born 1892) survived WW1 and to quote relatives "was reputedly a Major in the Royal Horse Artillery at some time. with lots of medals. He had a brother who died in a submarine. He was at the battle of the Somme"

George Henry and his brother were adopted and so CLEMENTS is not their birth family name. They originally came from Ireland but thought to have been adopted in London(?)

No written confirmation or photographs has been found.

Any information gratefully received.

I am afraid that George Henry Clements may have embellished his war experiences. According to the Army Lists no one by the name of George Henry Clements served as an officer in the Royal Horse Artillery, or the British Army for that matter, during the Great War and no artillery officer by that name was decorated with the DSO or MC or mentioned in despatches. In fact, no other rank in the Royal Artillery with that name received either the DCM or MM. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. Regards. Dick Flory

Guest Bill258

Thank you for your quick response and comments.

I guess he or his family did embellished his war experiences.

Since posting my query I have found:

L/25468 Bombardier GEORGE CLEMENTS served in the RHA but as yet have no other details.

There is also 30605 SJT G CLEMENTS, RGA who received the Military Medal in the London Gazette of 21 August 1917. Regards. Dick Flory