The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte Charles lay 8th Bedfordshire Regt

perce620

My Great grandfather Charles lay went Overseas 23/08/15 awarded Military Medal 21/12/16 discharged 20/01/19 If anyone has any references to him or his unit including photos of the unit during this time I would like to hear from them, trying to do a research project on him.

• 1 month later...

Hi. I know its an old post, but Im off to Bedford archives and LBO microfiche land within a few weeks (5th, some 2nd and 7th Beds Btns). Do you need any look ups while Im there...? If so, can you give me what youve got pse and Ill see what I can add to it?

Steve

Hi Steve

All we have is that he got the MM in 1916 and was discharged in 1919- have no info why he got the medal or what action, or in fact anything about his unit so anything you find is a bonus. We do have a photo of him but thats about it-My Dad has the medals MM and 14-15 trio but when Charles died in the 1930's his wife kept the lot and passed very little on to her step daughter my Grand mother

Cheers

Perce

Hi Perce.

Bedford Central Library in Harpur St has bound copies of "The Wasp" this was the Beds & Herts Rgt magazine. The vols from Jan 1926 to July 1927 have an 8th Beds war history, pictures maps etc.

Where did Pte Lay come from? is he in uniform in the picture?

Cheers.

John.

Charles Lay came from Buckinghamshire and is in uniform in the picture. Dad tells me he was wounded at least 4 times during his service

Hi Perce.

Any chance of posting the picture, it might offer some clues.

Cheers.

John.

Hi Perce.

Bedford Central Library in Harpur St has bound copies of "The Wasp" this was the Beds & Herts Rgt magazine. The vols from Jan 1926 to July 1927 have an 8th Beds war history, pictures maps etc.

Where did Pte Lay come from? is he in uniform in the picture?

Cheers.

John.

If you want look ups of the Wasp, let me know mate. Be a few weeks but no prob if useful. And please post his pic (if OK to). Just noticed that 89 years ago today he went abroad, and were doing this ...

Steve

Hi Guys

Thanks for the posts-will post a photo this evening if I get time

cheers

Perce :D

Here's the photo of Pte Charles Lay MM, 8th Bedfordshire Regt- hope you like it- He's my Great Grandfather

post-1-1093288957.jpg

Hello Perce.

Hope you don't mind, I have reduced and enhanced the picture to a more used friendly size.

I think the picture is pre war (collar dogs were generally not worn during the war) I need to check them, before I reply further.

John.

post-1-1093299569.jpg

I think the collar badges are the Hertfordshire Rgt, but am having trouble confirming this.

John.

Thanks for doctoring the photo for me-was the 8th Beds a TA unit I believe that he was put into the Beds and Herts before discharge spoke to my dad last night and he's trying to find out stuff from the rest of the family

Hi.

No the 8th Battalion was a war raised Service Battalion.

Was his number 19857?

However the Hertfordshire Rgt was a TA unit.

Cheers.

Hows it going-Yep Charles's number was 19857. Dont know if he did pre-war service

Cheers

Bit of an add-on My Dad has the same photo the same photo but slightly enlarged an shows the bedford cloth titles. When did these come in?

Cheers