The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Relation between regiment number and name

tchobec

Hi,

I'm searching informations about my great grand father, who was in France during the WW1. I know that he was in the 44th C.C.S R.A.M.C.

In the M.I.C, there's a number of regiment, I have the following informations :

Regiment No : 31790

Is that number correspond to the 44th C.C.S ?

You have not given your G G Father's name but I suspect it was Cpl (later Sjt)Thomas Arthur Green.

Casualty Clearing Stations (CCS) were large tented hospitals of up to 800 beds, usually situated near a railway siding in groups of 3 or 4.

Their function was 3 fold.

1) To return the patient to the front.

2) To transfer him to the Base Hospital, usually in England, for complete recovery.

3) To give sufficient treatment to allow for the second to take place.

Units of the RAMC were attached to CCS's but the man's service number bears no relation to the hospital his unit was attached to.

Cheers

Hi,

His name was Arthur Cecil GREEN, the only way for me to have informations about him is to find his service records. Several Arthur GREEN int he RAMC but any with Cecil in the firstname.

I'm searching informations about my great grand father, who was in France during the WW1. I know that he was in the 44th C.C.S R.A.M.C.

In the M.I.C, there's a number of regiment, I have the following informations :

Regiment No : 31790

Is that number correspond to the 44th C.C.S ?

The 44th CCS was simply that. The 'Regiment No.' you mention is his service number. There are a number of reasons why a man would have diferent numbers at various stages of the war and there are threads on this forum which will explain this.

Regards,

Ken