The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1/8th Sherwood Foresters

Anthony Bagshaw

Hello all,

I am trying to find some information on 2LT George William Fosbery of the 1/8th Notts and Derby Regt.

Does anyone happen to have a photograph of him?

Any information is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Anthony

Hello Anthony,

I have a copy of the War History of the 1/8th Bn. Sherwood Foresters, unfortunately there is only one photograph of the Bn., Officers taken at Harpendon November 1914. and Fosbery is not on that.

It is quite a long time since I read it but I will check again to see if there is anything relating to Lt. Fosbery, incidently my Father served with that Bn. from June 1915 until the end.

Regards Cliff.

Thanks Cliff, very much appreciated.

Does anyone have the address for the Newark Branch of the Sherwood Foresters museum? I understand that it is dedicated to the 8th Battalion.

Thanks

Anthony, the address is :- Newark Museum, Appleton Gate, Newark, Notts, NG24 1JY. Telephone 01636 702358

David.

Thanks David,

Have just given them a call but they don't have anything. They have an MC and a couple of helmets.

Does anyone know anything about 2lt Fosbery?

Cheers

Anthony.

Having just got in from another shopping trip, something that I should have mentioned earlier, as we visit one of my daughters that live in Nottinghamshire several times a year, I use the times to visit military museums and the like in the area, as such perhaps the following museums that I have visited may be worth contacting, in Nottingham Castle is the regimental museum the address is:-

Notts & Derby Regimental Museum, The Castle, Nottingham, NG1 6EL.

The other is :- 9th/12th Royal Lancers Rregimental Museum, Derby City Museum and Art Gallery, The Strand, Derby, DE1 1BS, this also (from memory) has artifacts of the Notts & Derby Regiment.

Telephone for Nottingham:- 0115 9465415. for Derby:- 0133 716657.

Hope the above is of use, and that your search for information is successfull.

David.

Thankyou for all your help everyone.

I will be off to the library in Nottingham soon searching the newspapers for a report on when he was wounded. Hopefully there will be one!!