The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Swiss legation inspection reports of UK POW camps

domsim

Hi folks

I have posted a reply on Dave's query about Hursley Park POW camp near Winchester which includes details of inspection reports of most of the POW camps in Britain by the Swiss legation in London in the Foreign Office files (see link here Legation reports

There are a couple of large images attached to show examples and a link to the website at Kew for an example. These reports are quite detailed and give locations, numbers of prisoners reports on facilities grievances etc. most seem to date from 1917 onwards

Skipping through the rest of the sub-forum I see they haven't been mentioned before so I thought I would flag them up. I can post somemore examples if anybody is interested (mainly of Dorset, Wiltshire camps which I am interested in)? I havent looked at all the files yet??!!

Cheers
Dominic

Hi folks

I have posted a reply on Dave's query about Hursley Park POW camp near Winchester which includes details of inspection reports of most of the POW camps in Britain by the Swiss legation in London in the Foreign Office files (see link here Legation reports

There are a couple of large images attached to show examples and a link to the website at Kew for an example. These reports are quite detailed and give locations, numbers of prisoners reports on facilities grievances etc. most seem to date from 1917 onwards

Skipping through the rest of the sub-forum I see they haven't been mentioned before so I thought I would flag them up. I can post somemore examples if anybody is interested (mainly of Dorset, Wiltshire camps which I am interested in)? I havent looked at all the files yet??!!

Cheers

Dominic

Hi Dominic,

First thanks for the original posting, much appreciated and really interesting :thumbsup:

I would certainly be interested in any more detail you can provide. Obviously my interest is primarily Hursley/Winchester but anything that gives more background to help me understand what was going on is more than welcome.

Cheers

Dave

• 13 years later...

Hi Just Joined

I now live in a property which was, in1918, the Prisoner of War work camp in Binegar and as part of my research on the property I have obtained a copy of the Swiss Legation report dated December 9th 1918.  The report indicates that Binegar came under Shepton Mallet (I think the full name was West Shepton Mallet) and this in turn came under Dorchester. 

The report on Shepton Mallet is stated as having been issued on July 9th 1918 but I have so far been unable to find a copy this.

Does an one have a copy of the Shepton Mallet report?

I do have a copy of the report on Dorchester dated April 7th 1919.

Regards HjC