The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

On-line photographs at NA Canada.

chris.wight

I thought I'd post this for anyone who hasn't come across this resource, link.

It appears to be a work in progress as the percentage of digitized photos available is not huge but those that are, are interesting. Entering "battalion" in the search box yields over 1800 photos so it will be worth keeping an eye on this site.

I forgot to mention most of the photos are copyright expired.

In the meantime, thought I'd post serveral, some of which will be familiar to Canadian eyes.

This one is captioned "Two comrades of the late L/Sergt. E.W. Sifton, V.C., 18th Battalion, visit his grave. February, 1918."

Here's a link to his attestation papers.

post-1-1088266384.jpg

This one is entitled "Trench from which 14th Battalion made their CHARGE. JULY, 1916.

post-1-1088266610.jpg

This one - "28th Battalion establishes a Signalling HQ and gest into communication with aeroplanes." It was taken during the battle for Vimy Ridge.

post-1-1088266699.jpg

This is my favourite, and I recognized it from Jack Granastein, and Desmond Morton's book. First time I've seen the soldiers name though.

Its caption - "Private Donald Johnston McKinnon, No. 7 PLatoon, 73rd Battalion, returning from the front line."

Correct spelling is MacKinnon, link to his attestation papers.

post-1-1088266883.jpg

Great photos, and the fourth one, showing Pte.McKinnon has long been one of my favourites. I always thought to myself, if anyone wanted to see a perfect example of the ordinary fighting man who won the Great War, they need go no further than this picture.

what a superb resource; hat's off to Canada

Again!

Well done the Canadians!

Why doesn't our NA do the same thing? I think we have had that discussion before, though!

Regards,

David

Chris,

Very many thanks for drawing our attention to the link. An excellent resource. Some lovely pictures of Sopwith Camels!

Best wishes,

David

I couldn't resist this one of Bill Barker, VC, after crashing his Camel in Italy. It is captioned "Major W.G. Barker with wreckage of Sopwith F.1 "Camel" aircraft of No. 28 Squadron" but I think "Oops a bad day at the office" would have been more appropriate! :P

I posted another of him flying a captured Fokker DVII in Toronto on the "War in the air board".

post-1-1088298572.jpg

what a superb resource; hat's off to Canada

Again!

Well done the Canadians!

Why doesn't our NA do the same thing? I think we have had that discussion before, though!

Regards,

David

The IWM is starting to make available photographs from its collection of 7 million plus images including British Official Photographs via its web site at

http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/qryPhotoImg.asp

You can also purchase hard copy (i.e. non-digital) images using the MY Order facility on the site.

The National Archives don't hold that many photographs - the collections went to the IWM.