The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A Soldier's 'First Aid Kit'

Ken Wayman

I know that a soldier's kit/equipment changed as the war progressed but I'm specifically interested in what first aid 'kit' the individual carried into battle in March 1918.

What, if anything, apart from a First Field Dressing and an iodine ampoule, did a man carry? Was morphine administered by medics alone or had this situation changed by 1918?

I'd be grateful for any help on this topic.

Cheers!

Ken

I know this is not what you are asking for but I have found this kit list in a service record. It does not include a first aid kit and there was no razor this has been added at the bottom by hand. I have only found one other kit list in a service record, were they not normally included?

post-57319-049748600 1297358757.jpg

Dental

Hi

Many thanks for the kit list - I've certainly never seen one among the service records I've been through. It's fascinating!

The reason I specified dressings etc is that I'm writing a book based on the diaries of an artilleryman who was wounded on the fourth day of 'Operation Michael' during the retreat across the 1916 Somme battlefields.

I really appreciate your help.

Ken

Ken,

In 1914 The First Field Dressing was issued to every soldier, and officer, and carried in the pocket provided in the jacket for that purpose.

The FFD (Pattern 7347/1911) remained the same throughout the war. This pattern of dressing is described in RAMC Training, 1911 Ch. XXXII as consisting of an outer packet of sewn khaki cotton cloth, containing two small separate dressings each complete in themselves. Each single dressing consisted of bandage, gauze and safety pins. The bandage was made of loose woven bleached cotton 2 ½ yards long by 2 ½ inches wide. The gauze was bleached cotton, 36 inches by 23 inches, weight not less than 260 grains, folded into a pad 4 inches by 3 ¼ inches and stitched to the bandage 18 inches from one end. The bandage and gauze pad was enclosed in a waterproof jaconet, the edges sealed with rubber leaving one edge folded and not cemented. The pin was wrapped in wax paper and attached outside the jaconet. The gauze contains 1 percent, by weight of sal alembroth and is tinted with aniline blue. The waterproof jaconet covers had instructions pasted onto them. Instructions and information were also printed on the outer khaki cotton cover.

In about early 1916 an ampoule of Iodine in a cardboard tube was also issued in most cases along with the FFD and carried in the same jacket pocket.

In 1917 a version (pattern 9486/1917), 22 May 1917) of the FFD with Iodine ampoule was introduced, these are very rare and never replaced the 1911 versions.

In addition there were Shell Dressings which were larger bandages with an iodine ampoule and issued to RAMC and Stretcher Bearers and maybe even more universally by 1918.

These are commonly seen tied to the SBRs being worn by Stretcher Bearers in the 1918 battles.

Joe Sweeney

Joe

That's excellent detail, thank you.

Given the nature of shrapnel wounds and gunshot exit-wounds, two dressings and some iodine seems but a token gesture. But then for two years, soldiers' heads had been protected by a cap rather than a helmet...

Cheers!

Ken

Re morphine

"According to The Roses of No Man's Land, morphine was given sparingly and only in extreme cases in hospital, so men had to suffer through the painful cleaning and irrigation of wounds. "

Re morphine

"According to The Roses of No Man's Land, morphine was given sparingly and only in extreme cases in hospital, so men had to suffer through the painful cleaning and irrigation of wounds. "

That's just what I was looking for - many thanks for your kind help.

Ken

• 6 years later...

Hi Guys 

In Joe's post 5 he states :

In about early 1916 an ampoule of Iodine in a cardboard tube was also issued in most cases along with the FFD and carried in the same jacket pocket.

In 1917 a version (pattern 9486/1917), 22 May 1917) of the FFD with Iodine ampoule was introduced, these are very rare and never replaced the 1911 versions.

In addition there were Shell Dressings which were larger bandages with an iodine ampoule and issued to RAMC and Stretcher Bearers and maybe even more universally by 1918.

These are commonly seen tied to the SBRs being worn by Stretcher Bearers in the 1918 battles.

Joe Sweeney

Now asking a question of demand and quantity before the introduction date. Would a supply of these have been made ready for use prior to the introduction date ? and have a early packing date and dispatched around ready for the introduction date to the troops heading to the front thus having a ready supply of the item a bit like the new £1 coin which was introduced in march 2017 and yet we have them dated for 2016 as well as 2017 ( now that's got you looking in your pockets ! ).

The reason I am asking this is I have found 4 of the rare field dressings with the iodine ampoule inside at a auction house this week ( very badly listed ) direct from a house clearance in Southampton with a selection of ARP badges and bits I think she ( The Warden ) was issued these during WWII due to the lack of supply of the ARP examples and 3 of these have the early date on them with the 4th having a June date on it  pics below whats your thoughts good or bad ? Steve

please note the iodine ampoule's came with the stuff and where lose ie not taken out of the packets one of these has the 1914 date on it .

IMG_5513.JPG

IMG_5510.JPG

IMG_5518.JPG

IMG_5511.JPG