The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tyneside Scottish Battalions

Guest Northumberland

Guest Northumberland

as a Geordie of Scottish ancestry I would be interested to know what approximate proportion of the first recruits were actually first generation Scottish ( or descendants) .

post-2-1088368270.jpg

I quote directly from the Stewart/Sheen book "Tyneside Scottish":

'The appeal for recruits (to the Tyneside Scottish Bn) was made direct to Scotsmen living and working on Tyneside, but although Newcastle's social elite was made up of quite a number of Scotsmen, the number of ordinary Scots folk living and working on Tyneside was not as great as the raisers possibly thought. Northumbrian/English was the dominant social group, followed by the Irish, the Scots followed in smaller numbers with the Welsh having the smallest numbers of all.'

The appendix lists the nominal rolls of the four Bns., giving addresses and towns of most of the recruits. These are all in the Northumbrian region. Unfortunately the book does not list birthplaces. I have only recently purchased the book and have not read it fully. If I come across any more info, I'll let you know.

Hi Paul, Northumberland,

Maybe an easy way to find a good approximation would be to consult SDGW i.e. select a good sample size of Tynside Scottish KIA DOW etc in the earlier actions, then tabulate from their individual entries those born in Scotland, this will give a good reflection of the overall picture.

Cheers,

Barry.

In "The First Day on the Somme" Martin Middlebrook gives an approximate figure. He says that "at least 75 per cent of the Tyneside Scottish were pure Geordies who had joined for the glamour of the name."

Tom

The books by Sheen on the Tyneside Irish and Scottish are a "must read". I only wish I had bound them when I started the research. Easy to read, well organized and great pictures. You can order them on-line. Here are the links where I found the books:

http://www.censol.ca/research/greatwar/tyneside/tyneside.htm

Richard

as a Geordie of Scottish ancestry I would be interested to know what approximate proportion of the first recruits were actually first generation Scottish ( or descendants) .

Couldn`t help noticing your grandfather`s full name.

Did you know that Charlie Crowe(with an "e") played for Newcastle United in the late 1940`s.

Is this just a coincidence?

Guest Northumberland

High Spen

as much as I would love to be able to claim a family connection with an NUFC legend, sadly there is none... the closest I got was when my son was mascot for the Magpies at White Hart Lane 11 years ago ( we won 2-1 Beardsley scoring).

Charlie Crowe is one of five of Newcastle's 1955 FA Cup winning team still alive, the others being Tommy Casey, Vic Keeble, Alf McMichael, and Tommy Walker.

Grandad was definitley a Crow ( a most unusal forename) not a Crowe

Howay the lads