The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Making of the African Queen

bushfighter

post-20901-0-98388700-1299164891.jpg

The Making of The African Queen: Or, How I Went to Africa With Bogart, Bacall and Huston and Almost Lost My Mind

Any Member interested in the film The African Queen, or in the depiction of a Great War fictional event in Africa, or in colonial times in the Belgian Congo and Uganda, or most of all in how a real lady coped with the tropical bush, should enjoy the text and photographs in this book.

Only one pence on Amazon!

Harry

post-20901-0-90628500-1299165658.jpg

post-20901-0-35821500-1299165750.jpg

• 2 years later...

The funny thing is that if you go to Turkey (can't remember the name of the river, but it is where the big cliff tombs are), they will tell you that the scenes of the African Queen being trapped in the reed beds were filmed there (and there are enormous reed beds). The film makes no mention of it.

There is a healthy population of Parakeets around the Richmond area of London that locals claim are descended from escaped birds from the 'African Queen' set at Shepperton studios.

Is this an urban myth?

Maxi

I have always believed that they escaped from the aviary at Syon House. In any event, they have spread well beyond Richmond and I see and hear them regularly here in SW19.

The African Queen was largely filmed on a 'sound stage' in Isleworth. The building is now used by a firm called CP Cases Ltd. Their website has a very small item about it http://www,cpcases.com/about.asp.

The building is still festooned with large diameter water pies which were used to create the 'river and some relics from the many films made there.

Bob

• 2 years later...

'The African Queen' hypothesis for the British population of ring-necked parakeets is a charming one but unfortunately falls foul of chronological difficulties. The first record of parakeets breeding in the UK was in 1969, 18 years after the making of the film at Shepperton Studios. Another possible explanation is that they were deliberately released by rock legend Jimi Hendrix from his London flat, recently opened as a museum. That is the right era, at least. The sources I have consulted are ambivalent about the true cause. Sightings of parakeets are currently being recorded on the southern outskirts of Manchester, so they are apparently spreading across the country. A short BBC film about the parakeets, which mentions what it calls 'The Bogart Theory', can be seen at:

I read the book on which the film is based a while ago and recall that the ending is different.In the book the German vessel is sunk by RN motor boats that have been brought overland to the lake. Does anyone know if either version have a basis in fact?

Old Tom

IMDB

"Like in the movie, the African Queen sinks, and Charlie and Rose are picked up the Germans and forced to stand trial. However, the Germans decide not to hang them; rather, they are put to work on the Luise. A British ship attacks the Luise, finally sinking it, and Charlie and Rose are picked up. The British officers decide to send Rose back to England and Charlie to work in South Africa, so the two of them decide to get married."

Moonraker

Watched an earlier showing on Film 4 recently. Something to watch for in the final scenes which I'd never noticed before: when the Luise is sinking one of the crew members throws a cat overboard; from the way it moves it appears to have been very much a live cat & probably not very happy one at that !

The Wikipedia entry for the novel (rather than the film) gives a link to the MV Liemba (formerly Graf Goetzen or Graf von Goetzen) saying it was the inspiration for the Luise; she's also given as being 'the last vessel of the Imperial German Navy still sailing actively anywhere in the world.'

NigelS

I believe the film was loosely inspired by the exploits of one Geoffrey Basil Spicer Simson, who was ordered to take a couple of gunboats overland from CapeTown to Lake Tanganyika in 1915. A bit about him here.

Spicer Simson's expedition was written up by Giles Foden, in"Mimi and Toutou go Forth" - a very amusing read.

Angela

I believe that the 'African Queen' boat is alive and well in Key largo Florida, having been restored and given a 'historical' classification and is still being sailed.

khaki

Rather bizarrely, a quarter of a century later Katherine Hepburn appeared in what amounts to a partial remake of 'The African Queen', which also managed to be a sequel to 'True Grit': 'Rooster Cogburn' (1975).