The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Arthur Charles Bushnell

Guest Bloo-peepers

Guest Bloo-peepers

Hi All, I have been directed to this forum by Mr Tom Burnell, who assured me how very helpfull you all are. ;) I am a bit nervous about posting here as you all seem so knowledgeable, and as you will see, I clearly am not, but more than willing to learn.

I am hoping to discover the background of my elusive great grandad Arthur Charles Bushnell. He was born in 1868 in Gloucester, and I have been told that he left home to join the army at the age of 14!!! I have a copy of his medal Index Card for the 1914 - 1918 campaign, it gives his army number (150169) but the only other writing on it is

Welsh R

R. W. fus

Middx R

Lab corps

in the bottom right of his card is written NW/1/17539

I assume that this means he received no medals for this campaign and probably didn't serve abroad, this wouldn't suprise me as he was aged 46 at the start of the war and 50 by the end of it (out of curiousity, would there have been any serving soldiers of that age in the first world war?) The problem I am having is that for some unknown reason, Arthur changed his name between 1904 and 1908, his first two children were registered with his real name and the subsequent 4 children with his new name Charles Whitehouse (his mother's maiden name)

I have also been told that he served in the Boer War, is there any way I can check this out?

I have a picture of Arthur in uniform and I would be very grateful if anyone could date it and tell me what regiment it is. It isn't a very clear photo, so I won't expect miracles!!!! :D

fingers crossed in advance

Best wishes

Di xxx

post-1-1088533346.jpg

Evening,Bloo,and welcome to the forum.

Don't be scared.

We don't bite.

Bit of a hard thing to do,on a computer.

There were soldiers of this age that served in the Forces,during WW1,and some of them were killed in action.

Looks like he was in the Welsh Regiment,The Royal Welch Fusiliers,The Middlesex Regiment and,finally,The Labour Corps.

Both of my Great-grandads,were in their middle to late 30's,when they were KIA.

The oldest i have heard of,who was Killed in Action,was in his late 60's!

It is more than likely,as you have said,that he didn't serve abroad,but you never know.

It all got a little hectic,towards the end of the war,and many men who shouldn't have been anywhere near the frontline,through age or disability,found themselves fighting a war.

More than likely,he served at home,maybe as part of the 3rd Battalion of whichever Regular regiment he was serving with at the time.

He would have been 31,at the start of the Boer War.

Depending on when he left the Army,he would have been on reserve(ready for call up,in the event of war),for some years after.

Maybe he left,during the time he changed his name?

I am going to take a stab in the dark,and say that the cap badge in the photo is of The Royal Welch Fusiliers.

Another stab in the dark,is that the number you have,is his Labour Corps number.

He could have four!!

Half of the stuff,above,i didn't know,until i came to this Forum.

You are in the right place.

Good hunting,and all the best.

Regards.

Simon Furnell.

Hello Di.

Glad to see you have made it.

These guys are the best there is.

Tom Burnell.

Hi All, I have been directed to this forum by Mr Tom Burnell, who assured me how very helpfull you all are. ;) I am a bit nervous about posting here as you all seem so knowledgeable, and as you will see, I clearly am not, but more than willing to learn.

I am hoping to discover the background of my elusive great grandad Arthur Charles Bushnell. He was born in 1868 in Gloucester, and I have been told that he left home to join the army at the age of 14!!! I have a copy of his medal Index Card for the 1914 - 1918 campaign, it gives his army number (150169) but the only other writing on it is

Welsh R

R. W. fus

Middx R

Lab corps

in the bottom right of his card is written NW/1/17539

I assume that this means he received no medals for this campaign and probably didn't serve abroad, this wouldn't suprise me as he was aged 46 at the start of the war and 50 by the end of it (out of curiousity, would there have been any serving soldiers of that age in the first world war?) The problem I am having is that for some unknown reason, Arthur changed his name between 1904 and 1908, his first two children were registered with his real name and the subsequent 4 children with his new name Charles Whitehouse (his mother's maiden name)

I have also been told that he served in the Boer War, is there any way I can check this out?

I have a picture of Arthur in uniform and I would be very grateful if anyone could date it and tell me what regiment it is. It isn't a very clear photo, so I won't expect miracles!!!! :D

fingers crossed in advance

Best wishes

Di xxx

Di,

The first thing is his original attestation papers may well have survived. Presuming he was entitled to a pension and his original papers, if they still exist, will be in the Chelsea Pensioner series, which I think is WO97 at Kew.

Must rush as the dinner is burning (again) but I am sure someone else will offer some more info.

Hello Bloo/Di.

If he signed up,at 14(drummer boy?),and served during the Boer War,you might be on to a winner.

If you go to WWW.PROCAT.GOV.UK,you will be amazed what you can find.

I seem to remember,when i first started doing this research on my Great-grandad's,that Army and Navy records go back years.

It is all a little vague,but i think they go back to 1700,or something.

Might be even longer,for the Navy.

The website,is well worth a look,and maybe of some help to you.

All the best.

Simon.

Hi

Looking at the on-line mics it would appear that the number 150169 was his number with the Labour Corps, perhaps the forums residential Labour Corps expert, Ivor Lee, may be able to give you some more information.

Steve

Guest Ian Bowbrick

150169 makes this soldier an original member of the 5th Labour Battalion, Labour Corps. This unit was formed from the 29th (Works) Bn, Middlesex Regt in February 1917.

Ian

Guest Ian Bowbrick

OK - I only managed a quick message last night.

First onto to the subject of whether your relative was awarded campaign medals - there will be roll numbers on the MIC probably prefixed LC/......

Just because he was 46 does not mean that he did not enter a theatre of war. The fact that he served with the Labour Corps was probably due to his medical category, but this did not preclude him from overseas service.

The 5th Labour Battalion was a Home service unit which did not exist for a very long time and you would need to access his service record for detials of which Lab Coys he subsequently served with.

Ian

Guest Bloo-peepers

:D Tom Burnell was correct!!! You guys are the best!!! Thank you so much for taking such trouble to help out a novice . Every reply has given me an extra piece for the jigsaw, thus enabling me to get to know great grandpa a little better.

I understand that my next step is to visit Kew, as I now have two family members to research, my paternal Great Uncle died at the Somme in September 1918, so close to the end of the war and so young at only 20 :(

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Best wishes

Di xxx

Hello Di.

Do you know what date,your other Great-grandad was Killed?

My Paternal Great-grandad,was KIA on the 27.9.18,and served with The Labour Corps at the time.

Ivor is amazing,and knows his stuff.

Been no end of a help,to me and many others on this forum

All the best.

Simon.

Guest Bloo-peepers

Hi Simon, it was my grandfather's youngest brother who lost his life in the first world war. Until I started my family history research, no-one in this generation of the family had ever heard of him and I had never heard my dad talk about him, a little note on some parish records set me off on my search. I managed to find his citation on the CWG site and I wanted to know more about this tragic young relative of mine. I had already discovered that he had lost his mum before the age of one year old, and then to discover he lost his own life at the age of only 20, made me take him to my heart!!! :(

All I knew about my great uncle was the following :- T NATION Private 295437 12th Bn., Somerset Light Infantry, who died on Thursday 5th September 1918.

Cemetary: Dernancourt Communal Cemetery Extension, Somme, France V111.B.15. I went on to the Genforum World War I forum, and was thrilled to receive replies from Tom Burnell and Malcolm (I wonder if they realise what pleasure they give to the people seeking help?), this has allowed me to get to know Great Uncle Thomas a little better.

I do know that I think of young Thomas often, my children are very aware of what he and countless other's gave up for us to be free and I AM one day soon going to France to put flowers on his grave, and to tell him that he is remembered by his family.

I am now eagerly awaiting his Medal Index Card to be online (they proimised the N's this month!!! :) )

Best wishes

Di xx

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I took the time to look at both of your relative's MICs today:

Arthur Bushnell was entitled to no medals;

T Nation: 295437 Pte Thomas NATION 12/Som LI entitled to a Pair, prev served as Pte 1786 West Somerset Yeomanry.

Ian

Arthur had a medal index card and was entitled to no medals? I am confused.

Tom.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I saw the thing!

It has an observation statement on it only - if you do not believe me or require verification you can download it from the on-line system.

Guest Bloo-peepers

Hi Ian, many thanks for looking up the MIC's for my relatives. As a newcomer to this forum, do you mind if I ask a few questions? ;)

Regarding the MIC for Thomas Nation, what is a Pair (please excuse my ignorance!!!) Also I was wondering where you found these details.

Regarding Arthur's MIC, What is an observation statement?

I have a copy of Arthur's empty MIC if anybody would like to see it.

Best wishes

Di xx

Hi, i've just done what I should have done first time and looked back at "The long, long, trail" and managed to answer my first question!!! I now know what "a pair" are :D