The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SAILOR I.D

NIGEL

Can any of you Navy men tell by this pic what kind of sailor my grandad was or anything about him by the pic-----i know its a long shot but if you dont ask------- !

post-24-1088584930.jpg

Hello Nigel

He is wearing square rig ( traditional 'sailor' uniform), thus indicating that he was a junior rating of either the seaman or stoker branches (senior rates and ancillary ratings wore single breasted jackets like modern POs/CPOs).

However, no trade, rank or good conduct badges visible; neither is he wearing a cap tally with name of ship/establishment, so can't offer any more.

You can easily get his ADM188 from the PRO(NA), since Navy records were not Blitzed, provided you know at least his name; his service number and/or approximate year of enlistment would also be of help. This would allow you to find out what he did in the RN and where and when he was serving.

Richard

Thanks Richard--i know his name obviously and he joined the Navy as a Cadet aged 11 or 12 then joined the Army when the war started i dont know why but thanks for the info

Nigel,

In addition to what Richard has mentioned, I have quite a few of these sailor pics, & it appears as if his rate badge is just barely visible on his right arm - only a bit of it, but from my experience I would guess his rate is one of two possibilities - either stoker (it could be the tip of the right propeller blade-stokers wore a 3 bladed propeller), or Seaman Gunner (the right "butt" of the gun-Seaman Gunners wore a cannon or large caliber ships gun)

Just an educated guess...........

Bryan

He is wearing square rig ( traditional 'sailor' uniform), thus indicating that he was a junior rating of either the seaman or stoker branches (senior rates and ancillary ratings wore single breasted jackets like modern POs/CPOs).

This has been discussed before but I can't find it at the moment ;) but I'm pretty sure some Petty Officers wore square rig, seaman I think.

Roger.

Hi Roger

Yes, I think seaman and stoker rates up to and including PO wore sqare rig until the 1930s(?). In old WW2 b/w films POs wear jackets and ties, so presume this was a pre-War change.

Richard

Richard,

I'm pretty sure I've seen an illustration of a Petty officer Gunner wearing square rig during WW2.

It was in a magazine that came out in the seventies about WW2. It came out each week and went into a binder. I have all twelve volumes in the loft.

Not WW1 I know but might give a clue to who wore what rig.

Concerning the dress of RN Petty Officers - in 1920 Petty Officers of all "seaman" branches were permitted to move into Class I uniform (suit jacket & tie) after attaining 4 yrs service as a Petty Officer. Shortly thereafterwards the time of service was reduced to 1 year. They wore the cap badge formerly worn by CPOs & the CPO cap badge was changed in '20 to a laurel wreath around the fouled anchor.

This information comes from "Badges & Insignia of the British Armed Forces" (1974), the Naval section being authored by Commander WE May.

I am not sure this is 100% accurate tho, as I have seen & have photos in my collection of Victorian POs wearing the Class I uniform.

You can easily tell a PO from a CPO as the POs are wearing good conduct badges (G.C.B's) on their left arms. CPOs do not wear G.C.B's.

Bryan