The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German soldiers

zijde26

To All,

Some days ago, I received a postcard showing German soldiers. It has a stamp by the feldpost of 15 mai 1915.

It comprises also a stamp reading as follows " Inf. Rgt. 120, Rgts-Fernsprechtrupp, Feldpost 27, Inf. Div. "

Can anyone give some information ?

Can anyone locate it ? It could be Wervik (Ypres Salient).

Thanks,

Gilbert Deraedt

In May of 1915, the 27th Infantry Division was in the Argonne. While it is possible that the picture was taken in the Argonne region, the terrain seems wrong. The wind-mill is out of place. The flatness of the ground and the lack of trees also make me think that the photo is of someplace else.

A second clue is provided by the language of the sign on the building to the left. The words I can read are "bons amis" - "good friends" in French. Thus, we are either in France or in a French-speaking part of Belgium.

Thank you for a good puzzle!

Can't you make a close up scan of the direction sings behind the pub?

de wegwijzer achter het café...

Don't forget that the postcards were often used well after a regiment had left an area. I have numerous cards that were sent by members of the XIV Reserve Corps showing scenes on the Somme during the time the corps had alredy left the area.

Ralph

A second clue is provided by the language of the sign on the building to the left. The words I can read are "bons amis" - "good friends" in French. Thus, we are either in France or in a French-speaking part of Belgium.

Thank you for a good puzzle!

Pre Great War nearly all shop, cafe and other public signs in Belgium where in French even in the Flemish speaking areas. So Flanders cannot be excluded on this basis.

Brum

Hello Gilbert,

It's definitely Flanders, I just can't find my list of these numbered cards for the moment. If I find it back, I'll tell you where this photo was taken...

Regards,

Jan

Hello,

I wouldn't look to nowadays mills in the area because they were often mills from elsewhere that were bought after the war and moved.

Although some windmills were more or less rebuilt in the old style...

Regards,

Jan

The Windmill stands on a crossroads of the Kruisekesraat, the Mesenstraat and the Oude Mesenweg, in Wervik. It is probably a post war reconstruction but it does look suspiciously like the one in the post card and the pattern of the roads look simular although most of the buildings around it are modern so I could not be totaly certain.

Brum

Thanks for the postings.

I have been zooming the scan of the postcard and I have been increasing the size of the above postcard.

I easily could read the words written above that window of that pub and even a name was clear. This name together with Wervik was searched online in the belgian telephone guide.

But I could not read (it became unclear) what was written on that sign post.

Gilbert Deraedt :huh:

• 1 month later...

A late reply,but here it comes. :o

Records indicate that the 27th Division was in the Ypres region January-July 1916.

Could the Feldpost date be 1916 then?