The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Elusive Lt.-Col. N.W.C. Hoyle MiD 25th Batt.

N.S.Regt.

Hi

Some of the forum members have been kind enough to assist me in confirming some of the names on my 25th awards list. To my supprise I was able to add 6 more Mids to it. However one name has been giving me trouble Lt.-Col. N.W.C. Hoyle mentioned in Edward H. Wigney's book "Mentioned in Despatches of the C.E.F.". When I first seen the name I knew it was a new one to me as I have the names of 200+ officers of the Battalion. A quick look on my list confirmed this next to the National Archives of Canada no luck. I checked a number of books and shipping list I have with no results. Thinking now I have a real challange on my hands I thought he may be a attached officer. I checked to see if there was a MIC for him no again also took a quick look at the London Gazette which had no results. I would have thought a Lt.-Col. would not be so hard to find is there any one who has any suggestions maybe the information in the book is in Error in some way?

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Hi N.S.Regt.

He's listed under Hoyles, 48th Battalion CEF, attestation papers link.

Two entries in the London Gazette:

28 June 1918 link

Western Ontario Regt.

Temp. Maj. (actg. Lt.-Col.) N. W. C. Hoyles relinquishes the actg. rank of Lt.-

Col. on ceasing to comd. a Regtl. Depot. 12 May 1918.

21 March 1919 link

Can. Engrs.

Temp. Maj. N. W. C. Hoyles, from, Western Ontario Regt., to be temp. Maj.

24 May 1918.

Hi Chris

Thanks for the information Never thought of Hoyles It would appear that my first guess was right not a perment member of the 25th. I wonder now if he was attached in some way to them at least I now have a place to start. thanks again for you help.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.