The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

G T Harris York & Lancs plus Lincs Regt

hmsk212

Hi

I am trying to establish a link between 203182 Private George Thorold Harris 1/4th York & Lancs kia 13/04/1918 and 11503 Private Gilbert (Thorold) Harris 6th Lincs Regt dow (Gallipoli) 17/08/1915. I have a small family style memorial poem to Gilbert Thorold Harris that states that he dow on 14/08/1915 but both sdgw & cwgc give the date as 17/08/1915 and they both have him listed as just Gilbert. They are also both somehow linked to Capt William Anderton Harris MC of the 33rd Btn MGC. I believe that they all originated from the Nottingham area. Any help gratefully received.

Steve

Steve,

Not sure whether you have the SD info on these lads-if not:

George Thorold Harris, 203182, Y & L-formerly 6061 Herts

E-Hertford. R-New Boulton, Lincs

George Harris, 11508, 6th Lincs.

B-Nottingam. E-Lincoln. R. Bracebridge, Lincs

And some random thoughts-

"Thorold" is a somewhat uncommon surname, all three men on SD with it are from Lincs.

Several of my Stamford lads served and died with the 6th Lincs at Gallipoli. One theme is apparent in most if not all of their cases-heir families' confusion regarding where and when they died. A couple have different CWGC/SD deaths, while others have different dates published in the newspapers etc.

Jim

PS.The other 6th Lincs loss for 17/8/15, Robert Savage (also Dow) is buried in the same cemetery as George. Robert received his wounds sometime after 7 Aug 1915 from shellfire.

Many thanks Jim, much appreciated. Must confess I had only looked up Thorold as a middle name and not as a surname. Must mean that the Harris' and Thorold's got together at some time. As for the Lincs link, Capt WA Harris was living in Bracebridge, Lincs by the end of the War so that would go towards tying him in with the other two.

Steve

Steve,

Always interested in anything Lincolnshire Regt related. Would be interested to hear how your research progresses.

Jim