The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

22 & 53 Ord Mob Workshops Picquigny 1918

Guest DavidHolman

Guest DavidHolman

I am the Chairman of the Cornwall Family History Society with an interest in my miltary ancestors amongst others. As a result of this interest I have been passed a photograph showing 51 Soldiers, 4 Officers and 1 Spaniel !!!! The soldiers appear to have a variety of cap badges. Of the 4 officers, the most senior (not all the ranks are visible) is a Lieutenant, just possibly a Lieutenant Colonel.

A soldier in the front row is kneeling up holding a board that says

22 & 53

Ord Mob

Workshops

The Ord Mob is I presume Ordnance Mobile.

The picture is presumably of the two worksops being photographed together. The group is in front of an old walled building, A check of the internet seems to point to the building being Saint-Martin de Picquigny Collegiate Church.

The handwritten title to the photograph that just possibly was written on the negative says

PICQUIGNY-(SUR SOMME)8/18/18

This seems to be the place and date of the photograph, the date being in the US style, perhaps written by a continental photographer. The picture is mounted on card with no other markings or writing.

I would be interested to know what sort of unti they were and whether the picture was taken at around the time of a specific action.

Regards

David HOLMAN

Guest DavidHolman

Ian

Thanks, I thought this would be a good idea and will try to do it this weekend, what format and size is best/permittable on the forum?

Regards

David HOLMAN