The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SDGW Lookup Request

SteveE

Would SKS with access to SDGW please provide the additional details for the soldier below and also confirm the details it gives for Battalion/Regiment.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Name: BAKER

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Fusiliers

Unit Text: 25th Bn.

Date of Death: 18/10/1917

Service No: 22450

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Coll. grave 6. G. 2-11.

Cemetery: DAR ES SALAAM WAR CEMETERY

Steve - This soldier seems to be missing from the SDGW record. He doesn't show up if you search for his number, or for soldiers who died on that date, or for soldiers died from his battalion.

There are 6 Royal Fusiliers called H. Baker listed, but none with that number. date of death or battalion.

Tom

Had a quick try and so far no luck.

I have tried the details given below with no matches, service number brings up a few names but no baker, the 25th btn had 15 casualties on the 18/10/17 (according to SDGW) again no baker. Can you independantly confirm any of the details from CWGC? At the moment it could be my lack of skill with SDGW but I can't find your man. However I will keep trying.

Ali

Thanks both for taking the time to look for me, I guess I'll have to look elsewhere for the definitive answer.

Frustratingly the Battalion War Diary only runs to the end of September 1917 so the CWGC details are all I've got.

I believe the action concerned was this one mentioned in "Royal Fusiliers in the Great War" and I quote:

"another action was fought in the Lukuledi Valley on August 18th (I think this should read October 18th). In this action the troops found themselves suddenly confronted by an overwhelming body of the enemy, and in covering a temporary retirement the Fusiliers were cut to pieces."

Thanks again

Steve

Thanks

I guess it's one to put on the back burner for a while, always plenty of other things to do.

Steve