The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

West Bromwich poet in Lancashire Fusiliers

rmtruby

Does anyone have any information on Sgt William Gallimore, a West Bromwich poet, who fought in the Lancashier Fusiliers?

No, but I'd love to hear more about him! Any details?

Simon

from the west bromwich book of rememberance

gallimore william t. l/sgt 14245 lancs. fus.

enoch

Blimey, our kid, I never realised there were any poets from West Bromwich! Any idea what battalion he was in?

So far I have managed to find out the following details about William Gallimore, the West Bromwich war poet:

His full name was William James Thomas Gallimore. He survived the war, and rose to the rank of Sergeant (14245).

He came from Oldbury Road, Greets Green, West Bromwich, but joined the Lancashire Fusiliers. I don't know which battalion he was in, but I do know that many of the men in his battalion were from the Blackburn area.

Due to being wounded in the leg, by a bullet which passed straight through his shin bone, he was brought back from France to be cared for in Alder Hey Hospital, near Liverpool. Apparently, many of his poems were written whilst in hospital, and the themes of his poetry centre around hospital life.

Hopefully, I can build up a more detailed picture of this man, and perhaps find some examples of his poetry.

Managed to find this picture. William Gallimore is on the left. In this photo he was a Lance Corporal. The man on the right is a fellow Lancashire Fusilier.

post-1-1089212383.jpg

This picture was taken at Alder Hey Hospital. William Gallimore is on the back row, I think.

post-1-1089212510.jpg