The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

royal highlanders

Guest landwirt20

Guest landwirt20
:( need your help again..just recently aquired my gt grandads medals on the rim it says r.highlanders he joined the army before the out break of the 14/18 war and acording to my dad and my aunties and uncles he went to india and while he was there caught something nasty and had to converlese in the part of india the battalion was at at the time..anyway he stayed there and his unit moved to another part of india to sort out troubles etc...seemingly my grandad was a excellent footballer and the hospital kept finding ways of keeping him there for a few months so he could play for what i am told was the army team....what all this is building up to is if he was with the 2nd battalion they did not get there till august 1914..i have a cup winners medal to him inscribed chandernagars cup..1913 so was this still the 2nd battalion...also how can i trace what actul unit/company he was in.....when the battalion was called for he rejoined his unit and went from india to france..this is what makes me think he was with the 2nd...would be greatful for more info...many thanks...jim :)

2nd Battalion were in Bareilly Brigade, Meerut Division in India but left for France in September 1914. They were the only Black Watch unit in India.

Aye

Malcolm