The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help Deciphering a Service Record

Fromelles

I'm hoping that someone may be able to help me decipher this service record belonging to 7868 Leslie Norman BARTHOLOMAEUS of the RAN.

Under 'Rating' there is the abbreviation 'Carp.Crew.' what would this be something to do with Carpentry?

Is this a rank or an appointment, I'm sorry for my total ignorance on all things Naval. While I'm at it, what is the progression up the rank ladder for a sailor of the first war period?

Boy, II Class

Boy, I Class

Ordinary Seaman, II Class

Ordinary Seaman, (I Class?)

Able Seaman

Is this is a standard or would it depend on what job they performed.

Any help is most appreciated

Dan

post-3866-0-24854700-1301477407.jpg

Dan,

I also noticed that he was posted as a AB CAR crew early in his career, whether this is also in reference to CARP crew I couldn't say. Have not heard of it before and sorry cannot help

Carpenter's Crew.

Dan,

I can offer Royal Navy ratings c.1914 as a comparison.

Boy 2nd class.

Boy 1st class.

Ordinary Seaman [start of adult service], written as Ord. on service records to avoid confusion with O.S. which is Officer's Steward in the R.N. There is no 1st or 2nd class for Ordinary Seamen in the R.N.

Able Seaman.

Leading Seaman.

Petty Officer.

Chief Petty Officer.

These are all in the Seaman & Communications Branch.

Carp Crew is Carpenter's Crew & is part of the Artisan & Miscellaneous Branch with the ratings as follows:-

Carpenter's Crew.

Leading Carpenter's Crew.

Joiner [Petty Officer].

How closely the R.A.N. followed these ratings I don't know.

Cheers,

Another David.

David,

I think the only difference with the Aust navy was the addition of an A between the R and N. Having said that the Car./Carp. crew did appear to be out of fashion sometime following WW1, I am wondering

if it evolved into the Damage Control crew seen by WW2. Could be, as the ships Chippies (Carpenters) were normally leading lights where DC was concerned.

Dan,

I can offer Royal Navy ratings c.1914 as a comparison.

Boy 2nd class.

Boy 1st class.

Ordinary Seaman [start of adult service], written as Ord. on service records to avoid confusion with O.S. which is Officer's Steward in the R.N. There is no 1st or 2nd class for Ordinary Seamen in the R.N.

Able Seaman.

Leading Seaman.

Petty Officer.

Chief Petty Officer.

These are all in the Seaman & Communications Branch.

Carp Crew is Carpenter's Crew & is part of the Artisan & Miscellaneous Branch with the ratings as follows:-

Carpenter's Crew.

Leading Carpenter's Crew.

Joiner [Petty Officer].

How closely the R.A.N. followed these ratings I don't know.

Cheers,

Another David.

Thank you all for your input, it's been a great help.

I took the Ordinary Seaman to have two classes as the record states - O.S.II

So, if I understand correctly Carpenter's Crew is in fact a rating and not just an appointment. What other 'Branches' (e.g. Artisan & Miscellaneous Branch) where there and did they too have similar obscure rating structures.

I find myself most interested in learning more about the structure of the Navy, as it is more often than not overshadowed by the Army.

Thanks again,

Dan

Post-1908 the Artisans and Miscellaneous Branch (M prefix to official numbers) included: Engine Room and Electrical Artificers, Armourers, Carpenters, Blacksmiths, Coopers, Painters, Plumbers, Ropemakers, Sailmakers, Shipwrights, Wiremen, Sick Berth Ratings, Ship's Police, Naval Schoolmasters, Writers, Ships' Cooks and Stewards, Musicians, Bakers, Butchers, Lamptrimmers, Shoemakers and Tailors.

The U.S. Navy had ratings for Carpenter's Mates thru WWII, and even WO rankings for Carpenter. This title was a carryover into ship's onboard maintenance and damage control. They prolly no longer exist today.