The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

what does the (s) stand for

munchkin

Hi All,

What does the (s) stand for in this context :-

West Yorkshire Regt 10th (S) Bn.

Thanks

By coincidence I am reading the History of the 17th (Northern) Div. in which the 10/West Yorks belonged. If there is anything you would like looked up just ask. :)

Roger.

Roger,

Thanks for the offer. There is one query. Does it explain about army numbering. I am looking for the enlistment date for a soldier, and as i cant get to the pro, i wondered if it listed numbers from and to, to see if this would give me an idea of his enlistment date.

William Bagshaw Heald Nunber 56530.

Also this relative was wounded and sent to #10 red cross hospital Le-Treport and died of wounds 15/09/1918. I was wondering which battles were fought before this date. It might narrow down where he was injured.

Thanks again Roger.

Glynn.

Does it explain about army numbering.

Sorry Glynn, I can't help with that but I'll have a look and see what they were doing about this time. However he may have been wounded some time before he died.

Roger.

Well,

He married only 6 weeks before he died. This makes me think that he may have been new to the trenches - on the other hand - who knows.

Thanks Roger.

Glynn.

Glynn,

This is a sweeping generalisation but Died of Wounds tends to be within 3 days, though I've encountered a range of between a few hours and six months, so without further evidence the best you can say is that the fatal wounding was between c.1/8/18 an 15/9/18.

17th Div was involved in the following battles, so any are possible: The Battle of Amiens 8-11 August; The Battle of Albert - 21st - 23rd August; The Second Battle of Bapaume - 31st August - 3rd September; The Battle of Havrincourt - 12th September.

Personally, I would work from an assumption that Havrincourt is the most likely.

Thanks Andrew,

It is so hard to find out these details, but once again you have turned up with the goods.

Let me know if i can help you in the future.

Many Thanks

Glynn